3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-06-2014, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Anyone Run Additives?

Wondering if any of you guys are running additives in your Eco's? I heard OptiLube is one of the best in the league, is there really a difference however? I mean realistically I just want something thats going to help keep my injectors clean.

Although I am also learning that US spec diesel is far drier than Euro spec. I don't quite understand so well, so maybe someone could chip in here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-07-2014, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
+1

any point in using this stuff on a new motor?
post #3 of 11 Old 05-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Tim

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I've used optilube in the past, realistically, its a hassle and it's sticky stuff when it dries. I bought 1 gallon when I had about 5000 miles, and used it till it ran out. Turns out that with ULSD the refineries add some lubricant for the displaced sulfur. I have 150,000 miles on 08 and have not added any lubricants to my fuel. I did not note any change in either performance or mileage and this was before deleting.

Apparently, running biodiesel would be best, it not only does it have better lubricating qualities, it also cleans the fuel lines out. Surprisingly marvel mystery oil is one of the worst (but I still put a cap full in my gasoline lawn equipment and emergency generator).
Accused and tugboat like this.

Tim
Redlands, FL

15-2500 Longhorn
14-1500 EcoD/Laramie/stock (Wife's)
08-2500 Smarty67/Suncoast Tranny/Converter

post #4 of 11 Old 05-07-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Always been meaning to look into this stuff, probably best to be well informed on it before even getting a new Ram Diesel, Do what even preventative things you can
post #5 of 11 Old 05-08-2014, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
thanks for the info tim
post #6 of 11 Old 05-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Tim

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I remember that optilube had commissioned a test, of various oils, I believe in accordance with ASTM standards but I cannot seem to locate it.

Tim
Redlands, FL

15-2500 Longhorn
14-1500 EcoD/Laramie/stock (Wife's)
08-2500 Smarty67/Suncoast Tranny/Converter
post #7 of 11 Old 05-08-2014, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'll take a look, im sure it will show up here one day.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-20-2014, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I remember that optilube had commissioned a test, of various oils, I believe in accordance with ASTM standards but I cannot seem to locate it.
Too long of a story to type the whole thing so I'll paraphrase,

Back in 05 LSD changed to ULSD. The extra refining to Make ULSD also took out same of the lubricant that diesel is noted for. The more solvent (cleaning effect) of ULSD caused all kinds of problems from cleaning out the pipelines to distribution centers tanks to filling stations tanks to vehicle tanks and even fuel lines from the tank to engine. It was a mess for a couple years.

The ULSD was also drier and raised heck with the older injection pumps, injectors, lift pumps etc. etc. The junk that cleaned out of all the formentioned items and the lower lubricity really damaged a lot of pumps and injectors.

Then about late 2006 the vehicle companies working along side the fuel industry put in place fuel standards. Before then there were really non to speak of. Since that time refineries have been adding back lubricity in the fuel. That and vehicle manufactures designing components to handle ULSD, the problems have disappeared.

Do we need diesel fuel additives? NO! not even to clean the injectors, marketing hype.

The only time you would need diesel fuel additives is and anti-gel for temperatures below +32F. or if you are going to store your diesel vehicle in a high humidity area where temperatures fluctuate allowing condensation to build up in your fuel tank. Then a Emulsifier type additive such as Howes is recommended and possibly a algae killer type additive. The best thing though if your going to store your vehicle for many many months would be to fill the fuel tank full thus eliminating too much expansion and contration of air withing the fuel tank. Air hold moisture.
Accused likes this.

2014 Ram 1500 5.7; 2009 Ram Cummins 2500; 2006 Ram Cummins 2500; 2005 Ram Cummins 3500; 1999 Ram Cummins 3500; 1995 Ram 1500 360; 1985 1500 Ram 318; ON ORDER 2014 Ram Ecodiesel.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-19-2014, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hi. Thanks for the info on this. I'm new to the whole diesel thing. I would like to know if there is a difference in diesel fuel from different oil companies such as Shell, Mobil, Costco, etc. Or is there no difference and can I just buy my diesel at any gas station.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-20-2014, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
it all comes from the same bucket

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page