LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-18-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
ED cold weather problems. anyone else?

well i have 35,000km on the eco diesel and its finally in the shop. we have had a string of -30 to -40C weather here lately and a list of things started happening. starting with my DEF tank ceasing to consume DEF. which was hard to tell at first till it kicked on a message saying service def tank, followed by a electronic throttle control message an hour after that. which i found left me with only first gear and a maximum speed of 60km/hr. parked it for the night and everything went back to normal the next day except the check engine light and lack of def consumption. made a service appointment for it to go in and the day before it made it in, it put me back into what i guess is limp mode (1 gear?),ETC light back on. i was told by service tech today that my air intake valves that control air amount froze up. and they found a bunch of water and ice in there so engine and turbo was not getting proper air...!!!! then they told me that its because i dont have a front end cover and if i did buy one that it would fix all future problems..so is chrysler now designing trucks that require additional spending so they can run properly in cold weather?? are these trucks not "extreme cold weather tested"?? has anyone else had any cold weather/snow issues with theres? i cant help but feel that if the cover is the fix then it should be covered as a warranty item lol as it should be mandatory to include them in first sale of these trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-19-2015, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
sorry you are having issues. It has got down to about 18 degrees F for me here with no issues so I am not much help. Hopefully some Canada guys on the forum will chime in for you here
post #3 of 13 Old 02-20-2015, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
-24C, or -11F here in southern ontario. We broke some records. My truck is outside and not plugged in. Started like a champ and got me to work with no issues.

Not to belittle your issue, and I hope you get a resolution from the dealer soon, but -40C is pretty extreme, I bet the ED is not the only vehicle having problems in that weather.

2014 1500 EcoDiesel Outdoorsman, Cherry Red, Backup Camera, Limited Slip Diff, Remote Start, Bed Liner, Side Steps, Rear Window Defroster, Undercover Flex, Weathertech Mats, Husky Mud Flaps

post #4 of 13 Old 02-21-2015, 02:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geremy Kiel Unyi View Post
well i have 35,000km on the eco diesel and its finally in the shop. we have had a string of -30 to -40C weather here lately and a list of things started happening. starting with my DEF tank ceasing to consume DEF. which was hard to tell at first till it kicked on a message saying service def tank, followed by a electronic throttle control message an hour after that. which i found left me with only first gear and a maximum speed of 60km/hr. parked it for the night and everything went back to normal the next day except the check engine light and lack of def consumption. made a service appointment for it to go in and the day before it made it in, it put me back into what i guess is limp mode (1 gear?),ETC light back on. i was told by service tech today that my air intake valves that control air amount froze up. and they found a bunch of water and ice in there so engine and turbo was not getting proper air...!!!! then they told me that its because i dont have a front end cover and if i did buy one that it would fix all future problems..so is chrysler now designing trucks that require additional spending so they can run properly in cold weather?? are these trucks not "extreme cold weather tested"?? has anyone else had any cold weather/snow issues with theres? i cant help but feel that if the cover is the fix then it should be covered as a warranty item lol as it should be mandatory to include them in first sale of these trucks.
Geremy, you should look click on this link. I think someone has gained a lot more insight to your issue. Finally an answer I can understand to Non-Start and some bad news
(I hope since this is potentially helping someone by directing them to another forum that this is considered acceptable. If not please let me know.)
post #5 of 13 Old 02-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJnOC View Post
Geremy, you should look click on this link. I think someone has gained a lot more insight to your issue. Finally an answer I can understand to Non-Start and some bad news
(I hope since this is potentially helping someone by directing them to another forum that this is considered acceptable. If not please let me know.)
that is fine thank you
post #6 of 13 Old 02-23-2015, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I also have cold weather issues for one the milage has droped to 16-18. I let the truck warm up for 10 min and it is pluged in however it takes about 20miles of driving down the highway before it will start to blow warm air. If I didnt have heated seats I would freeze in this thing seeing temps range from 20 to -20 in the winter.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-24-2015, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
The warm up period really affect mileage. I've plugged it in and tried to just go out, start it and go, but man, it's been -20C her for a while and I just can't do it anymore. The He** with the mileage, mine warms up for 10-15 minutes every morning in the driveway.

If you reset Trip A the next time you fill up, after warming up and then drive for a while, you will see your cold weather mileage minus the warm up.

We also have some extra non-gel additives in our winter fuel that I expect affects it a bit too.

2014 1500 EcoDiesel Outdoorsman, Cherry Red, Backup Camera, Limited Slip Diff, Remote Start, Bed Liner, Side Steps, Rear Window Defroster, Undercover Flex, Weathertech Mats, Husky Mud Flaps
post #8 of 13 Old 02-25-2015, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello!! New here!!! i bought my eco d last august and was truly impressedwith pulling power fuel economy and the overall truck, that was before wintercame i currently have 26000km on it and it been in the shop about 6 times, 1stleaking hot water pump,#2 cruise control intermittently working #3 DEF freezingup #4 DEF gauge no longer workin#5front suspension bushings (knocking noise)#6rear suspension does not like weather below -20 (keeps bottoming out with noload), #7 no heat in -30 none 0(IPhone froze) that was the longest hour trip I wasfrozen to the core. Now many of these problems could have been fixed in onevisit but service manager seems to like dragging on the problems. Spring isaround the corner and all these problems will probably go away, what will happennext winter when I am out of warranty, Il be stuck holding the bill?
post #9 of 13 Old 02-25-2015, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hard Start / No Start - Is your intercooler frozen? Check Here! - TDIClub Forums

Looks like other diesels have this problem too in the cold belt...but they have a fix...now we just need to get Chrysler on the ball to implement the solution.

Tips gleamed from past mistakes.
-High temp pipe insulation over the effective area.
-Grill covers
-Block heaters
- Mechanical change - Vacuum drain leg
post #10 of 13 Old 02-26-2015, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

My 2015 ED has been in to the shop three times in the past month to thaw the DEF. Starting to get real sick of these trips!! there has to be a better solution than this!! I only have 4500 km on my truck. I had a 2001 jetta diesel and never had any issues with it in the winter!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page