1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 01-15-2015, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Service DEF system message

Hello all, I started a thread a week ago or so about the sour smell from my exhaust after starting the engine cold. After reading your comments I agree it was the DEF not flowing due to being frozen. However, I got in my truck tpday to see the check engine light is on and I then checked the message on the evic. It says "Service DEF System". Not sure how this is going to play out, I called my service center at the RAM dealership (11:05) and they said to bring it in today (15:00) so they can look at it. I'll post results when I hear back.
As an additional note, I was worried about the DEF because of its freezing point, so I never had the DEF tank over 50% since the end of October. So I have followed RAM's instructions on winter use. Also o have been plugging in the block heater below -15c all year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-15-2015, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Interesting, we all want to hear what the dealer says.

2014 1500 EcoDiesel Outdoorsman, Cherry Red, Backup Camera, Limited Slip Diff, Remote Start, Bed Liner, Side Steps, Rear Window Defroster, Undercover Flex, Weathertech Mats, Husky Mud Flaps
post #3 of 29 Old 01-15-2015, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
x2, also interested in reading what you have to report back about what folks at the dealership have to say/do about it.

post #4 of 29 Old 01-15-2015, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So first update: the are completing a "forced Regen" (Which they can activate on demand in the shop once connected to their computer?) So what I was told is that the truck for some reason was not completing its regeneration cycle, and the the filters were very very full. This could also be why I am only getting 17-18 mpg right now.
Hershey likes this.
post #5 of 29 Old 01-15-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
No word if the sensor is faulty or damaged, waiting for a briefing of that once the regent is complete.

FYI: I did see a regent cycle after flash updates completed, but it did not complete before I arrived to work. So maybe shutting off the truck before completed cycle can mess with it?
post #6 of 29 Old 01-15-2015, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So regen and a new flash update later the truck feels awesome! It could be that it thawed out in the heated garage for an hour or so, but it feels more responsive and is running much smoother and does not feel sluggish.as for it not activating the regeneration cycle, the mechanic hopes the new flash will correct it. Next oil change is in 5500km, so they will check filters again then. Its flagged if anything pops up in the futer, so im good. I also got some new weather tech mud flaps installed at the same time, so it was a good end resault.
post #7 of 29 Old 01-26-2015, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
new update: another check engine light - converter failure and part ordered. ETA is one week plus install, only 14,500km on the truck. I was told the truck should stay at the dealership until the part arrives, loaner RAM was issued until repairs complete. still sucks.

2014 RAM Big Horn EcoDiesel
Bi-Weekly tow: 400 - 600 KM
- CanAm CommanderX1000 & trailer 3500-4000lbs
post #8 of 29 Old 01-27-2015, 01:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadfly2 View Post
new update: another check engine light - converter failure and part ordered. ETA is one week plus install, only 14,500km on the truck. I was told the truck should stay at the dealership until the part arrives, loaner RAM was issued until repairs complete. still sucks.
I never got any CEL or codes - nothing. I'm fairly certain my truck is doing something similar to your's as I'm getting strange smells in a pattern. My mileage goes up when it's either warm out or the truck has been driven for at least 5 miles - temp stays low even after idling for 10 minutes! All of this crazy cycling or not cycling properly has got to be taking a toll on all the emissions components. If I knew I could take this crap off the vehicle & not void the warranty, I would. History repeats itself - govt. mandated emissions = poor efficiency & durability of vehicle.
post #9 of 29 Old 01-28-2015, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Update: My RAM dealer will not be able to receive the new converter part required for repairs until Feb 14.
post #10 of 29 Old 01-30-2015, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
That stinks. Are they leaving you with the other RAM to drive while you wait?

2014 1500 EcoDiesel Outdoorsman, Cherry Red, Backup Camera, Limited Slip Diff, Remote Start, Bed Liner, Side Steps, Rear Window Defroster, Undercover Flex, Weathertech Mats, Husky Mud Flaps

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page