Service Electronic Throttle Control?? - Ram 1500 Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-03-2014, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Service Electronic Throttle Control??

I have 1 month old Ram ED. Every now and then I totally loose throttle response when I press on the gas (diesel) pedal. The engine continues to run but pressing on the gas pedal results in no response at all. The dash light comes on with warning light saying "Service Electronic Throttle Control". Every time this has occurred I have been decelerating into a intersection or coming into a stop. Also every time this situation has lasted only a few seconds. Within a few seconds the throttle response returns and I am on my way.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so what the solution has been.

Thanks
HVAC Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-03-2014, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
NO. Not normal. Maybe a first.

Get it to a dealer NOW! That's what a warranty is for.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-03-2014, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Odd, x2 hit the dealer for a checkup. Sure its only happened under decel and for a few seconds, but remember its always the same until its different. You don't want a loss of throttle at speed, on the highway imagine, not even enough juice to accelerate to the shoulder...

Welcome to the show, keep us posted on what the shop says...

post #4 of 10 Old 01-09-2015, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have had the same thing happen 4 times on the way to Chicago. Each time it happened I had to get on the brake because of traffic conditions. Like in your case, this lasts for a few seconds and then things go back to normal. So far, I have no real answer for this. I called the dealer but they have no idea why this is happening either.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-09-2015, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Definitely stop by your dealer to see what they have to say/do about this .
Keep us posted!
post #6 of 10 Old 01-09-2015, 06:35 PM

Limp mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubiniecki View Post
I have had the same thing happen 4 times on the way to Chicago. Each time it happened I had to get on the brake because of traffic conditions. Like in your case, this lasts for a few seconds and then things go back to normal. So far, I have no real answer for this. I called the dealer but they have no idea why this is happening either.
My truck went into a limp mode on Wedesday morning. The engine was revving only up to 3k in second gear and truck did not go over 40 mph. It displayed throttle control malfunction message. Thankfully my dealer is only 15 min away so I brought it in. The service guy said today that the main computer needed to be replaced and everything is back to normal. I am sick and tired of all the problems with this truck and I completely lost any confidence in it. I will give it another try since I don't have much choice. I don't think Lemon Law applies when each issue is different.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-13-2015, 05:08 PM

Took truck in this morning for service. Was told that Chrysler was aware of the problem and all the truck needed was a software update. This took about 1/2 hour and I was on my way. All appears OK right now.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-06-2015, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I still occasionally get the dash light coming on stating "Service Electronic Throttle Control". Dealer has looked into this several times and they always say that they fixed the issue but it still does this occasionally. I am starting to wonder if it does this when I depress the brake while I have a slight pressure on the gas pedal. Unlike most people, I drive with 2 feet. I use my right foot on the accelerator and my left foot on the brake. I figure God gave me 2 feet, I might as well use them both. Anyway, I am wondering if me resting my foot on the accelerator while braking may cause this issue. Any other 2 footed drivers out there??
post #9 of 10 Old 02-06-2015, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
I only drive with two feet when there's a clutch involved. ;-)

2014 1500 EcoDiesel Outdoorsman, Cherry Red, Backup Camera, Limited Slip Diff, Remote Start, Bed Liner, Side Steps, Rear Window Defroster, Undercover Flex, Weathertech Mats, Husky Mud Flaps
post #10 of 10 Old 02-06-2015, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My father does the two foot thing, claims that how he was taught. Raised pulling trailers and equipment on grades and claimed it gave him more control so he didn't roll back on the hill? now we have hill assist, ahhh technology lol

2014 RAM Big Horn EcoDiesel
Bi-Weekly tow: 400 - 600 KM
- CanAm CommanderX1000 & trailer 3500-4000lbs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page