5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 09-11-2014, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ecodiesel Winter months

I am very curious to see how this diesel performs through the winter.
I know a lot of the new diesel engines rolling out have had issues last winter with all the new emissions. Mostly Ag equipment during regen. I know these truck don't have the regen future so this may be a good thing.

I plan on purchasing an ecodiesel likely the end of 2016 or early 2017, once they have been on the road a few years.
This will be the first winter these trucks will endure so I am waiting to see if the results are good or bad here in Canada.

I tow a double enclosed snowmobile trailer all through the winter, nothing much through the summer, so I am thinking this would be the perfect truck for me. I keep my vehicles 10+ years, so I like to research heavily before committing to the purchase.

Feel free to chime in on thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 09-13-2014, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I live in NB Canada at 8C this morning, cold start was the same as at 20C, fuel consumption I found better for me at the cooler temps (around and below 15C), but I was not running the AC. I am interested to see how this truck will perform in Dec - March here in Canada. The DEF fluid will freeze in the rez at -12C, which it stays colder than that most of time. The ED also came with the block heater installed (Appearently it is a mandatory for it to be sold in Canada and the EDE is required to be plugged in at or below -18C?) I am thinking a 5-15 min warm-up depending on the real cold mornings at least.

2014 RAM Big Horn EcoDiesel
Bi-Weekly tow: 400 - 600 KM
- CanAm CommanderX1000 & trailer 3500-4000lbs
post #3 of 40 Old 09-13-2014, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
You think that fuel efficiency is going to suffer during the winter? THis would disappoint me since winter is so long in Canada.

post #4 of 40 Old 09-13-2014, 05:34 PM

With the amount of time spent idling, milage will decrease for sure. But then again, my other vehicle increased by 2L/100km overall due to warm-up and wheel spin.

post #5 of 40 Old 09-13-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
to my knowledge the DEF tank is heated as well...
post #6 of 40 Old 09-13-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Yes I'm quite concerned about this as well. I thought I read in my owners manual that recommended plugging in between -10 and -20 below -20 plug it in. This could be a problem if out camping or hunting for a long period of time not connected to the grid. I guess we will have to wait and see.
post #7 of 40 Old 09-13-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabmgb View Post
Yes I'm quite concerned about this as well. I thought I read in my owners manual that recommended plugging in between -10 and -20 below -20 plug it in. This could be a problem if out camping or hunting for a long period of time not connected to the grid. I guess we will have to wait and see.
I hear you, I hunt Duck and Goose into Dec, so I am concerned about it cooling off and not starting in the evening. As for the DEF tank to be heated, it does have a heating system, however I dont know if it will run when the block heater is plugged in, or only when the truck is running.

post #8 of 40 Old 09-13-2014, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Almost certainly will lose some mileage in the winter months. From using a blended fuel to having to warm the truck up. I used to lose 3-4mpg on my cummins in the winter time(iowa). The DEF tank heater wont be working unless the truck is running. I guess I'm not positive how its heated but even if its heated with coolant, which I doubt, the engine would have to be running to circulate it through the tank.
post #9 of 40 Old 09-14-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I thought I read somewhere that the truck will start without the DEF and warm up the tank, but I can't find where I read that. Anyone else any thoughts on that.
post #10 of 40 Old 09-14-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabmgb View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the truck will start without the DEF and warm up the tank, but I can't find where I read that. Anyone else any thoughts on that.

I thought I read that in the owner manual in skimming and did not think about it until you mentioned it. I thought it read that would allow the truck to run until the DEF was thawed, but I wonder how that will work with our systems and sensors. If it designed to run cold weather conditions, I'm sure the engineers thought it through. We will see! cool temps forecasted for the next week with some frost warnings.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page