2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 11-14-2014, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sudden MPG Drop

Previously, I've stated that I wasn't completely happy with my fuel mileage. To date, my best mileage has been 25 MPG highway. I believe part of that is due to the speed limits in this part of TX being mostly 75 & 80 MPH. I now have about 4700 miles on my Lariat Long Horn 4X2 and my MPG has suddenly dropped. I was getting a solid 22-23 MPG for daily commuting. Now, my MPG is down to 18-19 MPG for the same drive. What could be causing this? Nothing is changed, no towing, no EVIC warnings, nothing. I've got that gut feeling I have a lemon with a nice helping of douche nozzle customer service. The selling dealer wont return my calls or even book a service appointment to look into it. Have I made a $50,000 mistake by going with this Ecodiesel vs. the reliable and proven VW/Audi diesel I was originally looking at? ****, I think I've heard of less issues with the Chevy Cruze diesel!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-15-2014, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Strange. You have to figure that there is a problem if you really haven't changed much at all. I'm sure the dealer will get back to you. Don't throw in the towel just yet.
post #3 of 33 Old 11-15-2014, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I am surprised by all the people mentioning bad dealers. I have 4 within about 45 miles of me and if one was bad I would drive to the next. Maybe others are in more remote parts of the country but I would call Chrysler customer service to report them and get them involved if thats the case

post #4 of 33 Old 11-15-2014, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Bad fuel? I could be completely wrong. ..just a guess. I know personally, my mileage on all of my vehicles drop in the winter months due to warming up the vehicle. Texas folks may not be as likely to see that. I know I see a 3-4 mpg drop when it's cold. ( on my old truck).
post #5 of 33 Old 11-17-2014, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom250SX View Post
Bad fuel? I could be completely wrong. ..just a guess. I know personally, my mileage on all of my vehicles drop in the winter months due to warming up the vehicle. Texas folks may not be as likely to see that. I know I see a 3-4 mpg drop when it's cold. ( on my old truck).

Well, I thought I might have a fuel problem, so I went to another station and filled up there & there was no difference whatsoever. I'm not aware of anything called "winter diesel" in this part of the country. I use the remote start on cooler mornings, but usually I don't let the truck idle more than 5 minutes. I added a considerable amount of air to my tires Saturday, so I will see if that makes any difference at all this week...
post #6 of 33 Old 11-18-2014, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Are you judging this by the EVIC? I found on my last tank that is was under evaluating by about 4MPG. I was starting to wonder as at the end of the tank it showed about 21MPG and I had some Hwy miles on it but a manual check showed almost 25MPG.
post #7 of 33 Old 11-18-2014, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSorensen View Post
Are you judging this by the EVIC? I found on my last tank that is was under evaluating by about 4MPG. I was starting to wonder as at the end of the tank it showed about 21MPG and I had some Hwy miles on it but a manual check showed almost 25MPG.

Good point - I look at the EVIC instant reading and then the average. Both are very close to each other. Maybe I should just turn that off for a while & do a manual calculation per tank & see if its different.

This does raise another question. Why would the EVIC suddenly start reading erroneously? Are they prone to that?
post #8 of 33 Old 11-20-2014, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hershey,
When I bought my truck in Aug, I was getting about 27-28 MPG (US Gallon, all highway driving). Since then my milage has been slowly dropping as well. I now have just passed the 10,000 KM mark and my EVIC is showing 18.2 MPG (I do hand calc on every fill-up, but I still have 1/4 tank of fuel left, so I dont know if the EVIC is reading inaccuratly). I have not modded the truck in any way. it still has that rediculus nose dive rake and nothing added for winter weight, no fuel additives except for the winterized diesel at the pump, if they have even started adding it yet.
Now, I did change my rims to 17" with the tire size that matches my old tires to -3% in size (so not much difference) for a winter tire. That being a heavier tread compaired to stock I guess. I do know it is colder now (coldest so far was only -9C), and I gave it few minutes of warm-up before driving, all highway driving to work.
SO... I called my dealer about it today and they seem concerned about it. When I told the service rep what I was getting, he asked about driving habbits and where I get my fuel and suggested trying a different fuel supplier for comparison since I am due for a fill-up before I bring it in. With all these questions aside, he said that is still getting lower then expected milage and he wants the mechanics to have a look. What he said that they would do is: check all fluids and filters to start, then check and see if all software is up to date, also check engine diaognostic (I'm not sure what that entails, but I guess to check compression and timing?) and of course visual inspections for anything damaged or wearing early. oh yea, he said it will be under warrenty because of the nature of the inspection.

2014 RAM Big Horn EcoDiesel
Bi-Weekly tow: 400 - 600 KM
- CanAm CommanderX1000 & trailer 3500-4000lbs
post #9 of 33 Old 11-25-2014, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
update: Just got a call from the service dep, TWO new updates or "drivability flashes" installed, diagnostic showed everything else in perfect order. I donr know how the flash updates will change it to much, but I will report any MPG gains.

2014 RAM Big Horn EcoDiesel
Bi-Weekly tow: 400 - 600 KM
- CanAm CommanderX1000 & trailer 3500-4000lbs
post #10 of 33 Old 11-26-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
A few things...

Diesel Engine (and gas for that matter) like it warm. They run better (more efficiently) when they are warm...so short trips in cooler weather will give you decreased mpg. Might think about covering the front grill (diesel blanket) to up mpg. You could even try cardboard to test the theory by limiting the cold air that hits the radiator.

Diesel fuel ignites under pressure/heat. You might need to add some kind of fuel additive to increase the Cetane Level of your diesel fuel. In Europe, their fuels have a better Cetane Rating. Think of it as "reverse octane"...in a gas engine you want to up the octane (to a point) to fight detonation. In a diesel, when you increase the Cetane rating...the diesel fuel detonates easier and burns more efficiently.

You can even block off your cold air intake for a bit more heat and improved mpg in the winter.

I would also contact www.GreenDieselEngineering.com and see if they have any upgrades for the stock computer. These guys know their stuff and are very familiar with these VM/Fiat Diesels.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page