Diesel RAM Forum banner

First tank MPG

8K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  10%More 
#1 ·
Hey Guys and Gals,

I just went thru my first tank of fuel and averaged 21mpg mixed driving. I have the 3.55 rear end and was hoping for a little better fuel economy.

Are other ED owners seeing the same results?

Oh and I live in southwest Michigan and I'm sure we are on winter fuel now.

Steve

#5 ·
MPG in the winter months has seemed to affect mine. It also depends on tire size/tread ect. I found with my SR-A on 20''s gave me better MPG return then the winter tires I have on now, plus warming up or running cold makes the truck use more fuel.

#9 ·
Yours might be up to date, but I bought mine in Aug, and I had two updates installed two weeks ago when they were investigating my MPG (lower then I expected as well). MPG has not been hand calc since the updates, but if the EVIC is correct, nothing has changed. But I'm running in the worst conditions for MPG. I let it warm up for 10 min in the morning, drive 18 km to work, then home again 12 hours later with no warm up.

#18 ·
Fuel mileage is quite variable based on driving practices. If you let things idle to "warm up" that drinks fuel and does not warm up. You cannot idle a diesel and expect it to warm to any degree. You must run the darn thing. Maybe not hard at first, but run with a little load and some rpm.

All my past diesels, including this Eco., took 5 - 10 miles to get up to operating conditions. During that time they all sucked fuel way above their expected fuel consumption patterns. Some of you literally drive to work or whatever and barely if ever get the thing to operating efficiency.

If you only make short runs, you will be better served with a gas engine. Diesel engines like it hot and pulling a load. Simple as that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.