Diesel RAM Forum banner

Diesel upkeep

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  cds13us 
#1 ·
Hey all, just got my first diesel truck and just wanted to see what regular upkeep or maintenance is now required that I probably wasn't used to before. If anybody has a list or something of how often you need to replace certain filters or anything like that please let me know! Also I was told to get my DEF topped off every time I take it into the dealer or a shop but my DEF percent is still pretty full so should I let it run all the way down before filling it again? Any help is appreciated!

#2 ·
Well, I'm no expert on this, but fill your own DEF. You don't want to run out, and I see no reason to pay your dealer to fill it. I just went to Walmart and picked up a 2.5 gal jug of DEF for about $9. Once I get my canopy and everything set up on my new rig I'll probably carry a gal of it in my utility box. My advise, when you see your gauge get around 1/4 fill it up.

Other than that, I plan on changing the oil about every 10,000. Change the fuel filter; In my old Cummins I did this about every 25,0000 miles, or a bit more. If you tow, do everything a sooner. I wish I could give you more suggestions, but I don't think there is much else to worry about. Enjoy your new rig.

#5 ·
I personally prefer def in the 2.5 gal jug at the local farm store. I pay 7 bucks for it and it lasts quite awhile. Problem I had with the bulk pump at the truck stop is the darn thing didn't shut off quick enough and def blew everywhere.....that stuff is nasty. At least with the jug you can kinda hear when it's getting full. I add 2.5 @ 1/2 tank and no longer worry about spilling. One thing to remember, if you live in a cold climate, do not top off def when its extremely cold out.....def is mostly water and can cracked your def tank if it is full.

I do oil changes at 8500 miles and did the fuel filter at 17500. Just hit 20000 miles today! Averaged 23 on a 260 mile round trip running interstate speeds (75 mph or so).

#6 ·
Yea I figure Ill just buy it in the smaller jug and do it when I get about half way. Thanks for the numbers. Also **** 23 is good! I average about 15mpg driving about half city and half rural. I'm sure my lift and tires make me suffer some gas mileage cause I get a lot lower than I was expecting to get.

#9 ·
DEF has a shelf life and if it is bad, you will get a EVIC message and have to take it to dealer. It may not be covered under warranty. I go to truck stop and throw in 10.00 worth at a time. When it get to the red line, i will throw in another 10.00 worth. I'm good for 15,000 km each time. Only had to do it once, I'm over 20,000km now. I don't fill up. Also, no mess, no spillage, or exposure by going to the truck stop, like Flying J. Also cheaper than by the jug.

#10 ·
I agree with Seiko, I also use Flying J's. Because they are a truck stop, they go through DEF in high volumes so it's much fresher than the crap you buy in the store. When you buy it, god knows how long it's already been sitting on the shelf.

Another trick is everytime you do an oil change, remove the DEF injector, it's one easy clamp to remove the injector. The injector gets a tonne of white crystallization, which eventually plugs the injector. If you have a hand-held steamer, just blow hot steam onto the injector and the crystals will liquify and melt off like melted butter and it can save you $$$$$ in DEF problems. I'm 60,000 km now, knock on wood, never had any DEF problems. I do this every 10,000 km (every oil change), and it takes no more than 4-5 min to remove the clamp, blow the injector clean with steam, and reinstall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.