Sudden MPG Drop - Page 2 - Ram 1500 Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 Old 11-26-2014, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the active grille shutters would act as a "block" for the cold air?
Hershey likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 Old 11-26-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
They are more for aero than this...Now, if you could get them to be closed during early operation regardless of speed...yep
post #13 of 33 Old 11-27-2014, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Odds are better than good that "winter fuel" is being sold where you live if you live anywhere near where the temp "might" get below 30* or so.
you will see a decrease in MPG with winterized fuel. Beats the other option...jelled fuel.
Never trust the EVIC. Hand calculate then compare the 2 numbers. As I said on another thread in the big Rams 2500/3500 diesels we call the lie-o-meters for a reason. Also, a diesel is a negative heat loss generator. Remote starting and let idle when cold will kill the mpg. When it's cold out try this. Start the truck, drive it to get it warm/hot, park and let idle for 5 minutes. Bet the temp actually drops compared to when you were driving. ie. negative heat loss generator. Diesels make heat under a load/when working. Not idling. Look up "wet stack(ing)". NOT good. and it does apply to ALL diesels.

Bob
Current; '04.5, 2500HO,Auto,QCLB,4x4,CAI,4" TB,Smarty Jr,AD II 100,Flex-A-Lite fans, homebrew headache rack, "wedge" cap, rear bumper'03, 3500,QCLB,4x4,Dually,RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 33 Old 12-01-2014, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have notice a 3mpg drop in my around town driving since hitting 4500 miles on the odometer as well. Purchased my 4x4 Larimee on 11 August, on 17 November the starter went up. They hgad it in the shop from Tuesday through Friday for a starter, went in on Friday and they said might need to keep it until the next Monday until I complained and the owner told the service department to get a starter off from a new truck. They changed it and it still would not start, later that evening they discovered it was "a corroded cable from the alternator." How a 12 week old vehicle has a corroded cable is beyond me....but I noticed when it would not start that it was throwing sparks under the hood when it did try to crank. The dash was reading "Service 4 wheel drive system" when it would not start. These new electronic systems are very questionable in their reliability in my mind.
post #15 of 33 Old 12-01-2014, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I'm going to schedule a service appointment. I'm cringing because of all the stuff I've read on here. I noticed my tach was reading higher than it should at times when the EVIC was showing poor fuel mileage. I'm thinking the transmission is doing something funky, but I'm not getting any CEL or malfunction of any kind. I'm hoping they get me another truck while they play games with mine, but who knows...

Oh, one more thing - here in this part of TX, there is no such thing as "winter fuel". Its the same year round.
post #16 of 33 Old 12-02-2014, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
You know, when we use the defroster in cold weather it fires up the compressor the same as if we were using the the air conditioning. Gotta keep that thing off unless the window is fogged up. You can tell cause the light comes on on the hvac control knob (depending on which system you have).

That could affect fuel economy a bit.

Just another item you probably don't use in Texas.

2014 1500 EcoDiesel Outdoorsman, Cherry Red, Backup Camera, Limited Slip Diff, Remote Start, Bed Liner, Side Steps, Rear Window Defroster, Undercover Flex, Weathertech Mats, Husky Mud Flaps
post #17 of 33 Old 12-02-2014, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
You know, when we use the defroster in cold weather it fires up the compressor the same as if we were using the the air conditioning. Gotta keep that thing off unless the window is fogged up. You can tell cause the light comes on on the hvac control knob (depending on which system you have).

That could affect fuel economy a bit.

Just another item you probably don't use in Texas.

Hey Zoomie,
I used the A/C constantly when I bought this in Aug. Now that its cooler, I'm not running the A/C half as much & I think I've used my defroster twice...maybe. This morning a did the remote start as I was getting ready & the cab smelled like diesel exhaust, but no smell outside! I'm getting the feeling that this truck has a bunch of crap wrong. I'm getting 20.5 highway now. Still no warnings...is it going to surprise me or what? I would dump this at the stealership today, but I really need it this weekend. Any pointers on getting a truck for a loaner?
post #18 of 33 Old 12-02-2014, 05:29 PM

Garage
20.5 average is nothing to be upset about in a half ton truck. My dad's hemi ram ( & he drives like an old guy ) is in the 14 mpg range. Slight variances in driving play huge in the per tank average. My tank prior to my last was 19.7 average hand calc. That was alot of city driving though. Last fill was 23.3....mixed hwy / city hand calc. And I'm sure they are running the winter blend around this part of the country.

Hershey, that 20.5 per evic?
post #19 of 33 Old 12-02-2014, 05:37 PM

Garage
To add to it....my last fill I reset my display economy as I always do. From the station to home is basically all highway. Pulled in my shop and shut her down @ 28.4. Next day just during the warm up I was down to 20.7. Point is, the longer you wait to reset your fuel economy display the less it drops due to a longer average. For instance that decrease wouldn't have been as dramatic if I had never reset it from new. But since I just reset it 12 miles prior to shutting it off, that is the only comparison it has to go by for an "average". The only accurate way to do this is hand calc when you fill up. That will give you the truth.
post #20 of 33 Old 12-02-2014, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom250SX View Post
To add to it....my last fill I reset my display economy as I always do. From the station to home is basically all highway. Pulled in my shop and shut her down @ 28.4. Next day just during the warm up I was down to 20.7. Point is, the longer you wait to reset your fuel economy display the less it drops due to a longer average. For instance that decrease wouldn't have been as dramatic if I had never reset it from new. But since I just reset it 12 miles prior to shutting it off, that is the only comparison it has to go by for an "average". The only accurate way to do this is hand calc when you fill up. That will give you the truth.
agreed. Remote start-0- MPG. colder outside temps uses more fuel until warmed up. EVIC=lie-o-meter. feel good gauge (when you see super high MPG's.) As you said leave the EVIC ALONE/don't believe it. Hand calc only at fill up and NEVER reset the EVIC. It will get closer the longer/larger the data sample is. anything else is just a guess be it the EVIC or the owner.So far as the exhaust smell IF there are no leaks in the system and the remote start is used. I'll bet the heater was running wide open. Unless it was on Recirc. the heater draws air from outside the truck and diesel exhaust is more noticeable (pungent) than gasser exhaust. Especially when it's cold. Happens to me on the VERY few occasions I let my truck "warm up" in the winter.

Bob
Current; '04.5, 2500HO,Auto,QCLB,4x4,CAI,4" TB,Smarty Jr,AD II 100,Flex-A-Lite fans, homebrew headache rack, "wedge" cap, rear bumper'03, 3500,QCLB,4x4,Dually,RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rdefayette; 12-02-2014 at 07:59 PM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page