3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 11-26-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Wild MPG instant reading

Was in heavy traffic for about 1 hour on I 5 goin south through Tacoma WA today for about 10 to15 miles or so and the reading would go from 0 standing still to 99 As I crawled along one or two mph, then down too 25, up down and even when I got out of the slow traffic it was still bounceing up and down. When I got too my destination I cleared all the readings and it would still do it as I moved the truck to park it. It run good other wise and drove fine, it started right up three or four times after I had it parked. This is a 360 mile trip over and the same going back so hope it runs fine when we head back Saturday. Do you think I should see if I have it checked Friday before I head back to Eastern Washington
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 11-27-2014, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
It's working normally. You'll notice it goes to 1-5mpg when accelerating and it'll hit 99 when you coast or take your foot off the gas. I am assuming it's looking at vacuum pressure in the manifold and then making a calculation from there. Every car I have seen with a mpg display works like this. Nothing to worry about.
Eric
Accused and ECO33 like this.
post #3 of 40 Old 11-27-2014, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I was going to say it is working just fine. It is supposed to be a near real time current MPG, it will change rapidly based on your input on the gas, your speed and the terrian.

post #4 of 40 Old 11-27-2014, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Yup, that's what I get too. Does it read a reasonable number when you are driving along at a steady speed?

2014 1500 EcoDiesel Outdoorsman, Cherry Red, Backup Camera, Limited Slip Diff, Remote Start, Bed Liner, Side Steps, Rear Window Defroster, Undercover Flex, Weathertech Mats, Husky Mud Flaps
post #5 of 40 Old 11-27-2014, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
Yup, that's what I get too. Does it read a reasonable number when you are driving along at a steady speed?
It did the same thing driving in normal city traffic after I got off the interstate to where it is parked now which was about 15 miles. I intend to go for a short drive on back roads and see if it works like it should. Scared the **** out of me in that 4 lane number to bumper crap as I'm used too those back country roads.
post #6 of 40 Old 11-27-2014, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSorensen View Post
It's working normally. You'll notice it goes to 1-5mpg when accelerating and it'll hit 99 when you coast or take your foot off the gas. I am assuming it's looking at vacuum pressure in the manifold and then making a calculation from there. Every car I have seen with a mpg display works like this. Nothing to worry about.
Eric
. My F150 never did this fast fluctuations in any kind of traffic and drove it 37000 miles before I traded it in on my ECO! That is why I was so surprised, or worried.. I checked both trip logs and they read the same 24.8 mpg on the tank of fuel.
post #7 of 40 Old 11-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I have found in heavy traffic I actually gain MPG overall. Just let your foot off brake and it will get to 10mph or so on its own showing 99mpg and brake again when needed. First car I have ever owned to gain MPG in stop and go
post #8 of 40 Old 11-27-2014, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
It just depends on if the reading is instantaneous or if it is averaging out your mpg over a certain period of time. If you think about it, coasting doesn't use any gas so it makes sense that it would read 99 if you are coasting.

I'd experiment with a bit and if you still feel like you are getting poor readings, then I would take it in to have someone look at it.
post #9 of 40 Old 11-27-2014, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The reading will go to 35, or 68,,down to 5, up to 99 then Just keep fluctuating up and down but not stopping at a number ,just flashing them as they go up and down with us crawling along with the motor at idle. This is all at speeds that hardly register on the speeddomiter. Very strange.
post #10 of 40 Old 11-27-2014, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
its gameified on purpose, keeps people constantly vigilant. Its like riding a bicycle with AVG speed ratings, you're always trying to move the needle...(or not)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page