Diesel RAM Forum banner

How long will the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel be able to hold its best-in-class mileage title?

10K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ballisticsports 
#1 ·

Probably one of the leading factors in the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel's success has been its best-in-class fuel mileage, much to the chagrin of its competitors. Those competitors are not just lying down and taking it though. As you would expect both Ford and Chevy are currently developing vehicles that aim to dethrone the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel from its best-in-class position. How long will the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel be able to hold onto its title, and what will losing that title mean for the truck?

Besides having the best fuel mileage in its class, the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is also the only diesel truck in the half ton market. Both Ford and Chevy are trying to take away that title with the development of their own diesel half ton trucks. Though Ford has not said anything official about it, rumor has it that they are working on a diesel engine for the F-150.

Chevy on the other hand, has been more up front about it. They showed off the Colorado Z71 concept at the 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show. This off-road focused version of the Chevy Colorado ran on a 2.8-liter Duramax diesel four-cylinder engine. While most of what was seen in that concept won't make it to production, the diesel engine most definitely will in the 2016 model year Colorado and GMC Canyon.

It is possible that these diesel engines will not have better fuel mileage than the Ecodiesel engine, but I'm sure that Chevy and Ford will be aiming to beat the Ecodiesel.

Ford has another project on the go at the same time, and they are much more forward about this one. Ford has stated publicly that it is working on a F-150 Hybrid. Given that the main obstacle to hybrid trucks in the past has been weight, the F-150's aluminum body is likely a big help in making this truck a success. Ford also is outpacing both GM and Chrysler when it comes to hybrids generally so this project could very well dethrone the Ecodiesel. I'd be surprised if it didn't.

With new competitors on the horizon -- competitors that may take away the Ecodiesel's best-in-class title -- will the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel be able to maintain its momentum and strong sales?

See less See more
#3 ·
They've all been at it a long time just to get to this point so any large gains like RAM made with this engine will be a long time coming I think. On the other hand I don't think it's really been a priority for the big three. Now that they see that there is a market for a 1/2 ton with decent fuel economy, they'll be looking closer at it. I don't think GM can manage it, Ford has a chance in my opinion.

#5 ·
It will be interesting to see, especially has hybrids become more mature. It will have to undergo the same scrutiny we've see with the ecodiesel. Cost to run and repair compaired to fuel saved. Longevity will be an issue too.

I wouldn't buy a hybrid for the same reason a lot of folks won't buy the diesel. The perception that the risk of failure, and maintenance costs outweigh the fuel savings.

#6 ·
Couple things thought. The Duramax Colorado is a segment below. Full Size wise unless GM is bringing their mothballed diesel work pre 2008 out of storage they have no plug and play solution. Ford on the other hand could and should drop the 5 cyl powerstroke they just brought over in the transit.

On the Hybrid note, do y ou really think weight was the reason they weren't going into pickups. In fact that logic dictates that pickups should of been the first hybrids, as marginal fuel economy increases on small hatchbacks is superfluous in comparison to lopping chunks of HT fuel figures.

No, the reason we haven't seen hybrid trucks yet is becasue of acceptance, same as we haven't seen Hybrid Mustangs, Camaro's or Porsche 911's. Why do you think this push towards women now from the pickup sellers, mainstream viability means larger margins, features that were out of place on a pickup truck 5-10 years ago are now EXPECTED. Volume seller PLUS massive margins, I don't know a company that would pass that up...

#11 ·
A hybrid would have to figure in the electrical energy cost on to of it's gasoline usage to be comparable. Long-term reliability and cost would factor in acceptance and sales.

Challenge will come from another diesel. There are lots of motors that can be used. Question is when.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.