EcoDiesel 1500 Towing Mileages? - Page 4 - Ram 1500 Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 31 Old 06-11-2017, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Teardrop Tow West_25 MPG

In summer a year ago (2016), 4 months after the purchase of my Lone Star RAM Ecodiesel CrewCab, we went on a trip out WEST for 22 days. From Houston through the mountains of NM, AZ, CA (Yosemite) and back to Houston, and pulling a teardrop trailer (camper) that weighed about 2,400 lbs plus some gear, we got just over 25 MPG.

In fairness, I have a light foot (usually staying under 60 mph on the freeway) and I know how to use mountains to my advantage.

My experience since has taught me that pushing the ED with that same load and increasing the speed can greatly decrease the mileage. Then adding in a strong head wind, and you have much less efficiency. I took a trip with that camper to Colorado and back this Spring. Going north with a tail wind I pushed the rig between 70 & 75 mph. It got 23.2 mpg to Colorado. The trip back south was mostly into a head wind of about 18 to 22 mph. I stayed between 65 and 70 mph. My mileage dropped to 22 mpg.

I'm purchasing a new trailer with a loaded weight of 6500 lbs. It will drop but I'm sure those guys with the RAM 1500 Hemi s will covet the ED's efficiency, not to mention its longevity!

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
~Dylan Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page