3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-25-2014, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fuel Mileage Towing Test

Pulled my little toy hauler just over 50 miles. I'm used to a Cummins. This little Eco showed me it's not a Cummins. Thing does pull but the lighter truck requires weight distribution bars. Towed without them first and it moved around. Timbren bumper stops worked on keeping the truck pretty level. Bars kept it both level and stable.

The skinny is only 11.5 mpg. I did run 65 and one time had to pass an 18 wheeler doing 60. The little Eco could, taking me to 80 mpg. Tow haul-mode worked best but the rpm's sure are higher than I like as it holds lower gears.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-25-2014, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
How heavy is that trailer loaded? I picked up my ED last week and towed a 14ft enclosed utility trailer ~3500 lbs with mixed city / hwy (65mph) driving 100 miles and averaged 18.2mpg for the trip
post #3 of 14 Old 06-25-2014, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Howdy Capt'n

post #4 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Howdy Shaker,

Left the other forum. Always called my boats, 10%More. Use that name on a shooting forum. Use CaptainMal on a fishing forum. Both kind of interchangeable.

Oh - left that other forum. Too liberal for this old patriot.

This trailer is NOT real heavy. It does GVR at 7,000 lbs . For this tow it was empty. Probably little more than 5,000 lbs. Maybe less.

Think the problem was twofold. I went too fast. the wind blew a bit and there was a feeling of lugging when taken out of tow-haul. Then this trailer is high. That's kind of like pulling an open parachute down the road.

I have to tow a motorcycle right now. That trailer is light, the bike is a heavy Harley but the big deal is wind resistance. Most trailers without a high profile have little resistance and can be towed easily with good fuel mileage.

I fail on that end.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Welcome up! I thought that Eco looked a little familiar, use to lurk on the other site always enjoyed the insights...

I wonder if a small "wing" at the end of your cap might not help a bit with airflow over the top?

Loving the gun control sticker BTW

post #6 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh - left that other forum. Too liberal for this old patriot.
What do you mean by "too liberal?"

So ultimately are you happy with how the Ram 1500 is towing for you, or or you a little disappointing. It seems like it is capable, but it is having to work a little harder than a more heavy duty truck. Still gets the job done though.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Accused... That is one "bad" rig. Don't turn too fast or it might not look so good.

Actually thinking about a wing. Towed today but no wind resistance. No issues. Planning on a couple thousand miles in another week or so. That will really tell me if I both have a problem and how I might deal with it.

Panther Dash...

I did not introduce that term but got that impression. Just like that bumper sticker on the back of my toy hauler gets some people hostile. Those people get on forums. My experience with them is they take everything personal and have little to no sense of humor.

I get feedback from them and I do not want to get into any kind of political, gun-control, abortion, gay rights etc. discussion. These forums facilitate the sharing of information on the topic - here it's Ecodiesel pickups.

That sticker on my trailer and some on my truck, like the "Discourage inbreeding, ban country music" sticker on my old truck would really get into people. I have a sticker on my new Ram Ecodiesel. I will not comment and had trouble showing off the ARE cap on another post here.

You want an answer...What if I showed this?
L.O.A., Accused and Tim like this.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
that's an epic sticker, did you buy it from somewhere or did you get it made for yourself?

post #9 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
You're gonna get us both thrown off of here.

Ebay.

It's individual letters on one sheet so it's a "one time shot" getting it on right. Once you start there's no stopping to adjust.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-27-2014, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
good to know

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page