Towing Fiasco - What's Next?! - Page 2 - Ram 1500 Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 02-23-2015, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklein View Post
You definitely have a problem, I have pulled trailers over 8000 lbs on the interstate with no problem sustaining 70 mph and still averaging 18 mpg. This is an open trailer hauling cars / trucks so there is less wind load but I haven't had any issues with towing.

Since your smelling raw Diesel fumes I would suspect an exhaust leak before the turbo, possible affecting boost, or a plugged DPF, since you mentioned it going into regen twice. Problem is finding a tech that will actually troubleshoot your problem, without a trouble code most techs will tell you everything is fine.
I'd almost be tempted to say a possible cracked turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Whatever it is, it's not right. I'd get to a dealer.

2014 1500 EcoDiesel Outdoorsman, Cherry Red, Backup Camera, Limited Slip Diff, Remote Start, Bed Liner, Side Steps, Rear Window Defroster, Undercover Flex, Weathertech Mats, Husky Mud Flaps
post #13 of 16 Old 02-25-2015, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
Whatever it is, it's not right. I'd get to a dealer.
Going in next week. They were less than thrilled to hear from me again - its as if they are planning how they are going to tell me yet again that nothing is wrong before I get there!

post #14 of 16 Old 03-04-2015, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Edmunds dot com might be having the same issue with their truck. They said it stalled after feeling sluggish while towing and MPG drop. Dodge replaced everything from the gas tank forward in the fuel system it sounds like to fix the problem

Back in Service - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test
post #15 of 16 Old 03-06-2015, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemist32 View Post
Edmunds dot com might be having the same issue with their truck. They said it stalled after feeling sluggish while towing and MPG drop. Dodge replaced everything from the gas tank forward in the fuel system it sounds like to fix the problem

Back in Service - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test
I read this article too. It's good for both the current ED owners as well as for RAM, because it brings light to the subject and should accelerate resolution. RAM is definitely having some teething problems with the ED, but I would like to think that they are very close to resolving all these issues. Remember too that they have a vested interest since they increased production by 20% on the ED's... Yes, current customer service may not reflect this, but I truly believe it will all fall into place in the near future. Hang in there Hershey!:
post #16 of 16 Old 03-06-2015, 05:06 PM
DBM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Aside from my DEF issues I am having, I also tow a 27 ft travel trailer in the northern part of New Brunswick with many hills to climb up and down wherever I go and I have no problems during the summer time towing and averaging 20 MPG, there has to be another issue as to why you are having difficulty towing an enclosed trailer, I used to have a Honda Ridgeline and towed a 6 x 12 with no problems as well, mind you the MPG sucked.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page