LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-22-2015, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Towing Fiasco - What's Next?!

We just picked up a new 6' X 12' enclosed trailer this morning. The trailer weights just over 1,000 & under 1,500 lbs empty. All the tires are new & serviced to 50 psi & the axel is greased. The trailer does not have brakes.

This dumb truck would barely pull it! Winds were slightly to the side & rear, so not a big factor. The road was wide open & flat as a board. Our prized ED would not leave 6th gear at first struggling to do 60 mph. After about 20 miles at 10 mpg it started bouncing up to 7th & 8 gear, but the slightest grade change of more than a few feet would cause it to kick down. I tried the Tow/Haul button & that made it worse. This thing struggled to maintain 65 mph with an EMPTY trailer trailer & averaged 13 mph for the 225 mile trip back!

The truck appeared to regenerate on the way down & again on the way back (according to the scan gauge exhaust temp). I thought this truck was supposed to tow like a champ? It tows like a VW Beetle! What could possibly be wrong now? There are no messages or lights showing a problem. We are ready to run this pile off a [email protected][HTML][PHP][QUOTE][/QUOTE][/PHP][/HTML];
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	369  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-22-2015, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
wow and no issues not towing? I have a 14ft enclosed utility trailer about 3500 lbs loaded and 25ft travel trailer about 5500lbs loaded and no issues on either. You will rarely ever see 8th gear but 7th should not be a problem flat over 55mph. I get about 20mpg with the utility trailer hooked up
post #3 of 16 Old 02-22-2015, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemist32 View Post
wow and no issues not towing? I have a 14ft enclosed utility trailer about 3500 lbs loaded and 25ft travel trailer about 5500lbs loaded and no issues on either. You will rarely ever see 8th gear but 7th should not be a problem flat over 55mph. I get about 20mpg with the utility trailer hooked up
Oh, there are issues not towing also; 22 mpg highway! We STILL get traces of raw diesel exhaust inside the cab, along other weird exhaust smells - but, according to 2 dealers, nothing is wrong. What a joke.

post #4 of 16 Old 02-22-2015, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Has to be a issue should pull 9500 lbs easy , some issue hear , we need to hear from more towing guys on this one ?
post #5 of 16 Old 02-22-2015, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Any guys use block heater cord with out having to open the hood to plug and and hide back under hood very time ,what a pain ?
post #6 of 16 Old 02-22-2015, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM29 View Post
Any guys use block heater cord with out having to open the hood to plug and and hide back under hood very time ,what a pain ?
I ran mine along the frame inside flexible conduit & out thru the tow hook. I used zip ties to secure it. It works great.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-23-2015, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The one good thing I acn say about the truck is that it pulls like a champ. I pulled my boat all summer 4,500lbs with no issues i barley new it was back there. I also pull a 5th wheel camper at around 10,000lbs you can feel it behind you but had np problem at 70mph up and down hills. You have some kind of issue and good luck getting any help from chrysler.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-23-2015, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Oh, there are issues not towing also; 22 mpg highway! We STILL get traces of raw diesel exhaust inside the cab, along other weird exhaust smells - but, according to 2 dealers, nothing is wrong. What a joke.
You need to check into this... This just isn't right. I know that with 4x2 EcoDiesels, there is an exhaust coupler leak, but even if this isn't the problem, somebody has got to resolve your issue. Do you live in a cold climate state or provence? Just curious because some ED owners in those areas have also had issues... Don't get discouraged, there has to be an explanation.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-23-2015, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
No, no cold climate, I'm in Texas (although this yr. is the worst I've ever seen since I moved here in 1998!).
post #10 of 16 Old 02-23-2015, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You definitely have a problem, I have pulled trailers over 8000 lbs on the interstate with no problem sustaining 70 mph and still averaging 18 mpg. This is an open trailer hauling cars / trucks so there is less wind load but I haven't had any issues with towing.

Since your smelling raw Diesel fumes I would suspect an exhaust leak before the turbo, possible affecting boost, or a plugged DPF, since you mentioned it going into regen twice. Problem is finding a tech that will actually troubleshoot your problem, without a trouble code most techs will tell you everything is fine.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page