Winter Tires - moving from 20's to 17's and tire selection - Ram 1500 Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-01-2014, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Winter Tires - moving from 20's to 17's and tire selection

Hello folks,
That time of year and looking at some different tire/wheel configurations. I have a set of 2013 17 RAM wheels that I will keep the winter tires on and swap back to the 20's in the spring. So the tire size im considering is 285/70r17 to replace the 275/60r20. However Tire Rack suggests 265/70/17 (optional OEM) but I do not want to loose any clearance from diameter loss. It seems I can get Blizzacks in the size I want, I have never used them, but a coworker swears by them.
Anyone else decided on smaller wheels for winter or staying with the 20's? Anyone going to try to run the SR-A's for the winter?

2014 RAM Big Horn EcoDiesel
Bi-Weekly tow: 400 - 600 KM
- CanAm CommanderX1000 & trailer 3500-4000lbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-02-2014, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
I had the stock wranglers on my 2010 jeep liberty. They were fine on dry roads but didn't do very well on snow. I got rid of them after the first winter. When my RAM arrives, the first trip is to the tire place to get michelines.

As for rim size, I would go with the rim/tire combination that is cheaper to buy. You're not looking for high speed performance here just traction in the snow. My opinion is the 17's would be a better choice.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-02-2014, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Why do you change your rim size between winter and summer? Is it something to do with the weather or is it just because of the size of the tires that you have?

post #4 of 7 Old 10-02-2014, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Dash View Post
Why do you change your rim size between winter and summer? Is it something to do with the weather or is it just because of the size of the tires that you have?
If you're buying new rims and tires, it's just cheaper.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-02-2014, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Yup, going with a more common size, one that not only the RAM 1500 uses, but what is common among a wide range, really helps with making the whole package much cheaper.

To start, avoid odd sizes, only even.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-02-2014, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Dash View Post
I like to run dedicated winter tires since our winters in NB Canada have such a dynamic range of conditions. The other thing is that I do not want to damage my new rims getting tires removed and seated twice a year. This way I have the winter tires already on rims, switch and bolt, done.
I am going with the 17's because I was able to get a set from eBay for 300 bucks in great condition and plus the tires will be about $300 buck less than the r20's for the same tire. This also gives me more sidewall, nice to have when driving in deep snow.

2014 RAM Big Horn EcoDiesel
Bi-Weekly tow: 400 - 600 KM
- CanAm CommanderX1000 & trailer 3500-4000lbs
post #7 of 7 Old 10-02-2014, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I wouldn't run SR-A's in the winter, I didtched the ones on my ranger the first time I drove them in the rain, so NOT a fan. Regardless, personally I swear by Nokians, this little finish company that consistently sets records for ice speed records. If there is one group of people who take their winter driving seriously its the Fins!

check them out, they dont have the marketing buudget to compete with Mich, GY et all but the product speaks for itself, seriously competitive tire!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page