Diesel RAM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, not an owner yet but been around Cummins since 2001. I realize this Fiat motor is not Cummins but has a pretty good pedigree. Simple post for current owners, what are your dislikes with this ED Ram? Priced today at the dealership but the had none on the lot. I saw two there several days ago so they seem to be selling fast.

David
San Diego

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These ED go through the regeneration process like the 6.7? DPF and EGR? My '11 uses no uera fluid. Advantages or disadvantages to using this fluid? Guess I have a number of questions and it seems the sales staff at the dealership don't have many answers. Thanks.

David
San Diego

·
Registered
69 Posts
These ED go through the regeneration process like the 6.7? DPF and EGR? My '11 uses no uera fluid. Advantages or disadvantages to using this fluid? Guess I have a number of questions and it seems the sales staff at the dealership don't have many answers. Thanks.

David
San Diego
You're right; good luck getting a straight answer from the dealers!! The disadvantage of your '11 is the use of expensive raw diesel to clean the dpf resulting in decreased mileage. The def, while a cheaper cleaning fluid, is said to cause minor dilution of engine oil. You'll find proponents for both systems.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Well its not whisper quiet, when you get on her she certainly sounds like a diesel, not your fathers diesel but a diesel indeed...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just spend 5 hrs in mine with another guy that owns 1500 hemi. He was amazed at how quiet it was and said couple of times that he would never have know it was a diesel even under power. All you could hear was the whine of the turbo.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Almost a 1000 miles on mine. Don't think I've had it over 3500 rpm (& that's just been in the last 100 miles), but I'm not able to hear the turbo at all. Maybe I'm deaf, or maybe they forgot to install the turbo at the factory....lol. Only complaint so far is the horn sounds funny. I know.....that's cheesy, but the horn sounds like it's half in the cab. Guess if that's my only "dislike", I'm pretty happy!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Oh I thought of something else that's silly....The window lock only locks the rear windows & not the front passenger. That's odd to me as my last truck locked everything but the drivers controls.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Oh I thought of something else that's silly....The window lock only locks the rear windows & not the front passenger. That's odd to me as my last truck locked everything but the drivers controls.
I prefer this. This way i dont have to unlock the windows for my wife but the kids cant control them.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Oh really? I have a 2010 liberty with the same controls and my dogs jump on that arm rest and articulate the windows if I don't have them locked out. Especially if I have it half way down to let them get some air, but I don't want them to jump out.

I'm glad I learned this here instead of out on the road.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'll add to that silly locking thing.

I often leave the key in and truck running when I stop. Lots of reasons, but ignore that or now. If you unlock the doors, using that door button, there's no reasonable way to lock them again without going around to each door and pushing the lock pin down. The door button will not lock if the key is in the ignition.

There is a way around it. With all doors closed and locked, unlock the driver's door manually. Push that door stalk back down and close the door. Now all is locked and the engine is running if you choose.

Cannot get used to the false neutrals I get turning that shift knob without pushing on the brake. Of course, I do not like any automatic transmission.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
I'll add to that silly locking thing.

I often leave the key in and truck running when I stop.

There is a way around it. With all doors closed and locked, unlock the driver's door manually. Push that door stalk back down and close the door. Now all is locked and the engine is running if you choose.
So the truck is running with one key fob in the ignition, can you lock the doors from the outside with the second key fob?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I stashed that extra metal key in the bed. The metal key that's inside that computer key fob is on my key ring. I can lock and unlock the driver's door only with that metal key. There are no other doors with locks in them. Everything is controlled by that single drivers' door.

At a rest stop on the interstate Sunday, I wanted to cool down the turbo after a hot tow. Never shut the engine off. Used my keys to lock the doors with the engine running.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts