Diesel RAM Forum banner

5000 miles and Check Engine Light on

104K views 77 replies 33 participants last post by  Customer Service 
#1 ·
Roughly 5000 mile and the check engine light came on. Took it the dealership. The code that came up was to call Chrysler. Something to do with the oxygen sensor. They gave the truck back and are not able to solve the problem yet. 2 days later get a call with 14 questions on how I drive and if I have added any additives or equipment upgrades. Short story they still have not called with a fix.

But on the brighter side love the truck. average 26.5 on average. I do not tow but I do do a lot of driving roughly 650 mile a week. I have had the truck for 2 months.

#2 ·
Sure like your attitude and welcome.

Have also heard of a very few sensor issues similar to yours. Think there's a sensor going to that Diesel Emissions Fluid canister that's been replaced by a few. Not sure.

Sadly it's an issue common to probably all diesel engines today. They most all have a form of Diesel Particulate Filters followed by a DEF filter. Both use sensors. Sensors sometimes make no sense.

It's the computer age. You just might be a kid that lives with that stuff and can understand. If not, you will soon be miserable like me.

Problem is not the engine or transmission. You just might get it with anything you buy today. Give them time to sort it out.

#3 ·
Not to worried about it, truck is still running fine and getting great milage. Luckily where I work we sell the def fluid, just added 2.5 gallons because I was down to a quarter of a tank and it only brought it up to 1/2. must be about a 9 or 10 gallon tank bigger than I thought it was. Seems to be using a lot. I do not tow just a lot of driving.

#4 ·
Surprised it used that much so fast.

One thing to remember is DEF is available in bulk at most all Pilot and Flying J stations. Probably also at other major truck stops. Just don't really know yet.

In bulk it's $2.79/gallon most everywhere. To buy in a gallon or 2 1/2 gallon container makes it way more expensive. Bet even as an employee you paid more than bulk price.

#7 ·
Any word on your check engine light?

I had to take mine in (roughly 2000 miles on her) after check engine light on 6/28.

I got the same thing...14 questions. Still no word and its 7/3. They gave me a rental car.

I wasn't worried about it but now I'm not so sure.

Did you ever get an answer on yours?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

thanks.

#9 ·
Well, guess what? Little over 4k and the engine light is on. Checked the manual said it could be driven and should go off, (also says that if it's blinking shut it down) some thing about it resetting after a while. Now it's been 10 days. Called the dealer and I'm suppose to take it in the 14th. Anyone think this is a ongoing thing?

#11 ·
Well this thing is making me a liar, drove it about 40 miles yesterday, went into Lowes came out started it and the engine light went out. Guess I'll still keep my appointment in the morning and see if they can find some codes on it.

#12 ·
Check Engine Light - Sensors

I just bought a new RAM Diesel 6/28 and after 300 mile the check engine light went on. I took it in for service and they kept my truck and contacted RAM and I went back and forth with the dealership for a week with no fix.

After driving a rental car for a week, I was told that the sensors were on forever backorder and it was okay to drive it.

Has anyone had any luck getting yours fixed?

Does it still drive okay?

It has been a frustrating experience.

Briman

#13 ·
First, that blows and is not reassuring to hear. I dont think that it'll cause any problem down the road to drive. As for side effect, if its the emission sensors like the O2 or NOx then you may go through more DEF.

#14 ·
Check Engine Light

So far it has not used any DEF fluid, but we will see. After researching I am guessing that Chrysler is redesigning the sensors. The dealership said the truck is regenerating, so that is good. However, the check engine light came on 3 days after they turned it off. When the check engine light is on the remote start does not work.

#21 ·
Got my truck back from the dealer, mechanically my truck is fine; no leaks, nothing misplaced or missing. Electrically no clue, it could be a one time hiccup where the sensors gave some erroneous data and the computer had to cycle the sensor a few times to clear it out. Or there is a bad sensor or the on-board computer waiting to trip up again till it starts doing things on a regular basis will never know due to the fact of how much computer control and how many sensors are interacting with each other to give the data the truck needs to run.

In short I need a Priest to exercise the ghost in the machine.

#24 ·
My light came on around 2,000 miles. I had 3 codes. P0426 catalyst temp sensor performance bank 1 sensor 1. P0171 system too lean bank 1. P2459 diesel particulate filter regeneration frequency. I was initially told that there was a computer update that would solve the problems, but after they scanned it they told me that had to contact headquarters. The dealer asked me the survey questions and told me a new O2 sensor is on order. They cleared the light but it came back on a few days later. It seems to be using a lot of DEF and the remote start disables and shuts off after 10 seconds. No word on new part.

#31 ·
Got a check check engine light at 1000 miles plugged in my bluetooth odb2 and pulled the codes P1DB8 P1D90, powertrain codes, looked under my truck and saw lots of fluid.... Yay
Dravas: This was first post, then you got truck back from dealer and "mechanically it's fine"

What were the fluids under the truck and what repairs were made? thanks

#38 ·
The fluids under my truck must have been water, no stains on the drive way, texas condensation or I might have hit a puddle and forgot about it. The did nothing but check my systems and the seals for leaks. I also had them check the wiring for the Dodge "lojack" since that was added after.

Side note on the "lojack" twice they have called me up asking if i had been towed because it showed my truck was driving without a key in the ignition...waiting on the third time before I take it to the shop.

So far no codes have shown up again and the truck is running fine, at 2,800ish miles.

I used a simple bluetooth odb 2 reader with torque pro.

#35 ·
Engine light

Had an engine light come on last week... Just abt 3500 mi on the ED. Had to work so I had the wife take the truck by the nearest dealer and have the code read as they don't have diesel tech available on Saturdays. Service mgr calls and tells me it's a simple sensor replacement, but they need to order the part. Cleared codes, fine to drive for vacation. Said to call and schedule appt for fix when I return. Call today to schedule appt, and the guy tells me it will be at least 3-4hrs, maybe more... The prescribed fix is to remove all sensors and 'clean' them out... Call the dealer where I bought the truck, and the guy says to come by, let him read codes and he'll order any sensors that might be causing the problem.... MPG was down abt 1-1.5mpg on return trip and seemed to lag just a bit on acceleration.... We'll see what they say on Monday when I drop it off...

Also, had a code for 'check electronic throttle control module' come up... Tech says its because I hit the accelerator and brake at the same time? WTF? really.... we'll have to see what happens with that as I have size 14(read BIG ASS) feet and that s**t happens all the time....

#72 ·
Had an engine light come on last week... Just abt 3500 mi on the ED. Had to work so I had the wife take the truck by the nearest dealer and have the code read as they don't have diesel tech available on Saturdays. Service mgr calls and tells me it's a simple sensor replacement, but they need to order the part. Cleared codes, fine to drive for vacation. Said to call and schedule appt for fix when I return. Call today to schedule appt, and the guy tells me it will be at least 3-4hrs, maybe more... The prescribed fix is to remove all sensors and 'clean' them out... Call the dealer where I bought the truck, and the guy says to come by, let him read codes and he'll order any sensors that might be causing the problem.... MPG was down abt 1-1.5mpg on return trip and seemed to lag just a bit on acceleration.... We'll see what they say on Monday when I drop it off...

Also, had a code for 'check electronic throttle control module' come up... Tech says its because I hit the accelerator and brake at the same time? WTF? really.... we'll have to see what happens with that as I have size 14(read BIG ASS) feet and that s**t happens all the time....
That is so true, not the big fee,t but touching both at the same time drives the Computer nuts. I have it happen a and the rig does not know if it should go or stop. I work very hard to keep my left foot out of the action.:(

#36 · (Edited)
Well I am still waiting on my sensors to come in. The dealers say that they should be in any day. I took a road trip and the DEF consumption was extreme. I have 3300 miles and I have put in about 10 gals of DEF so far. I am hoping the sensors fix that problem too.

I have also had an issue where none radio controls, cooling and heating controls worked. I could't even turn up or down the volume or change stations. I also could not turn on the fan or change temp settings. Then whole things was locked up. I had to turn off the truck completely open the door and restart the truck for everything to start working.

Another issue I have had was that the truck would not come out of park. The shifter nob was locked and would not move. I finally had to shut off the truck. That fixed the problem.

Briman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.