Diesel RAM Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Ecodiesel Outdoorsman in August. Now have 7500 miles on the truck, so far a lot to like about it. However, about 2 weeks back needed to use it to pick up a pallet of feed for the farm as the F450 was in another state. Put the pallet in the back with the forklift, thought the only thing that was going to stop it from sinking was if the top of the wheel wells were resting on the tires. I realize this is 1 ton of weight and today's truck are marketed for car buyers, but to have a half ton truck that doesn't even want to try and be a "truck" is a little disappointing. I've owned my share of pickups in the past 35 years, never seen it quite this bad. So, I wasn't smart enough to order the air suspension as the truck was a little pricey already, thus my question is does anyone know of a good aftermarket suspension product for the Ram 1500?

·
Registered
5 Posts
aftermarket coil springs by "Tufftrucks" are cheap and work well, there are 3 options to choose from. 25% higher capacity, 50% higher capacity and variable capacity. I installed the 25% and it really stiffened up the sag without changing the ride.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Which option?

The Air Lift Kit i listed doesn't even require you to remove the springs, just drop the suspension. But most suspension work is easy enough to do on your own...you just have to have the right tools and a nice flat surface to work on.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
You put close to 2K LBS in the back of a truck that is rated for 1K LBS and you wanted it to not sag to the wheel well? I mean the fact that you were able to drive that home(assuming) and it held together is saying a lot. You are right, It is a HALF TON truck. you carried home a TON, so id say it was trying to be a truck!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Check these out. timbren.com I just installed them in about 20 minutes. I used them on all 3 of my other Rams.

Might have to take a look into their axle-less suspension for my harbor freight trailer, might be able to finally throw on some brakes with little to no effort.

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just got my Ecodiesel Outdoorsman in August. Now have 7500 miles on the truck, so far a lot to like about it. However, about 2 weeks back needed to use it to pick up a pallet of feed for the farm as the F450 was in another state. Put the pallet in the back with the forklift, thought the only thing that was going to stop it from sinking was if the top of the wheel wells were resting on the tires. I realize this is 1 ton of weight and today's truck are marketed for car buyers, but to have a half ton truck that doesn't even want to try and be a "truck" is a little disappointing. I've owned my share of pickups in the past 35 years, never seen it quite this bad. So, I wasn't smart enough to order the air suspension as the truck was a little pricey already, thus my question is does anyone know of a good aftermarket suspension product for the Ram 1500?

With all that weight, how did the truck handle it? (besides the suspension) Did the engine or transmition heat up more? Did it srtuggle?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts