Diesel RAM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about a lot of people having issues with the emissions control system's on the new trucks. As always I'm sure the bad stories come out while the good are quiet. How many miles does everyone have and what issues(if any) have you had? Might be helpful for myself and others in making a decision to pick one of these up. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
58 Posts
6k miles in 2 months, no issues outside of me having to put 1 pound of air in my passenger side rear tire.

Reactions: L.O.A.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Engine light came on at a little over 4k went out on it's own, dealer put the code reader on it and it said bad fuel mixture.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Fellow on another forum is over 12,000 miles with no issues.

Don't jinx me. Over 5,000 and heading out on a couple thousand mile tow in the morning. No issues.

One thing to remember is the forums are full of people condemning the Ecodiesel because their radio or navigation system messed up. Even the sensors issues can be the same sensor problems for the gas engines.

From what I can tell there have been literally NO engine issues with tens of thousands of the trucks out there. Worst I heard so far were a rear-main installed backwards and one blown turbo (he had a turner box on it when it blew).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interested in your towing mileage

At about 10,000KMs with no issues. Approximately 1/4 of that towing a 5800LB trailer!!!:D

Hi, new to your forum but very interested in the info presented here. We are looking seriously at purchasing ED and will be towing a TT weighing in at 5800lbs. Can you tell me what kind of mileage you are experiencing when you tow?

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
I ordered my on July 5 and I'm still waiting for it, that's the only problem so far.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hi, new to your forum but very interested in the info presented here. We are looking seriously at purchasing ED and will be towing a TT weighing in at 5800lbs. Can you tell me what kind of mileage you are experiencing when you tow?
hey camper, check out our towing thread I believe you will find exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.dieselramforum.com/forum/2014-ram-1500-ecodiesel-general-discussion/4306-thinking-bying-ram-ecodiesel-anyone-have-towing-mpgs.html

I'd say expect anywhere from 15-19 mpg based on what some of our members have shared!

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wife stole it

I have 4500 miles and no issues at all. DEF gauge is in the red, I'll try to post how much I actually use when I refill it this weekend on a little trek across the plains. I'm averaging 25.5 MPG and I drive it like I stole it on mostly highway miles. I can buy DEF for 2.89 per gallon at Flying J at the pump so I'm not worried about the cost of the DEF. The only real issue I have with the truck is it rides so nice, is so quiet, handles like a car and has a great stereo system so my wife tries to hijack it from me if I don't watch her.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I ended up getting one. Found one at a dealer that I liked and drove to get it. Loved the truck once I sat in it. Brought it home and the wife fell in love with it as well and was talking about driving it to work during the summer when I have my company truck. The power/economy/ride make for an unbeatable combination. I was very surprised by the power of the little engine and even more please wit the 28 mpg I got on the 240 mile drive home! I hope for no problems but if I do at least it's under warranty!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I drive it to much....... My wife keeps saying things like, "I wish you would look at me like that!".... Blah then I let her drive and she is happy again. Kids keep leaving crumbs in the back seat, people want to look under my hood and then the mpg bar, people think it's a 2500 because I debadged the advertising. NO issues other than that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Finished a long run this weekend and took the time to fill the DEF passing through Dodge City, KS at the Flying J. Now that I've filled it I have a bit more information. First, the DEF tank wasn't completely full when the truck was delivered. On my gauge, when the tank is full, the needle lines up exactly with the full line on the gauge, it was a bit below that when delivered. When I filled the tank yesterday the gauge was almost exactly in the middle of the red portion, showing about 1/8 tank. I put 7.1 gallons of DEF in the tank. Milage on the truck was just over 4700 miles. I've heard two stories here about the DEF tank capacity. Some say its 11 gallons, my understanding is its 8 gallons, which is right? Most of us are still in low milage use, I'm wondering if anyone has seen the warning message of the DEF being low and how much it took to refill the DEF tank? No complaining, its not a factor in cost of maintenance, just curious.

·
Registered
412 Posts
DEF tank is 8 gal. I filled mine at the 1/2 mark and it took 4 gallons.

Did a towing test and just posted it. My fuel consumption was higher than I expected. If you read the report my take on that issue will have to add you should not run above 60 mph if you want decent towing mileage.

No issues with the engine or transmission so far. Must find wood to knock on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 5200 on my ED. No problems what so ever. Made separate trips to Minnesota and to Florida. Just love this truck. Millage is averaging 27 or so. That's with a 3.92 RE and 4X4

·
Registered
412 Posts
Atouk - Welcome.

Thanks for the reply. In actuality most all the Ecodiesels are trouble free. Sure there might be an unrelated issue common to any new vehicle. I hear of people yelling at the Ecodiesel because their radio does not connect to their Iphone or some other unrelated issue to the drivetrain.

We are evaluating the drivetrain. Remember that when commenting. I do not condemn my truck because it was delivered with a windshield washer pump that did not work.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts