Diesel RAM Forum banner

Anyone go with Air Suspension?

13K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Accused 
#1 ·
RAM really did a big thing when they went and introduced optional air suspension on the RAM 1500, I believe last year or the year before, no matter. Anyways at $1,695 it seems like a relatively reasonable asking price for self leveling suspension alone, not to mention its ability to drop for aerodynamics and raise for clearance....

So, any of you boys with orders in click off the air suspension box?

See less See more
#3 ·
I just wonder what the long term cost of ownership on air suspension will be like? If you consider that an air system is inherently more complex than your typical leaf spring rear end, there is a much greater chance that one runs into air suspension issues long before you run into leaf spring issues.

Just curious if anyone has heard anything either way? Although i do suppose the 1500's air suspension is so new that we're not likely to have any concrete information regarding long term costs...

#4 ·
I ordered the 28M Limited package which comes with air suspension as a standard feature. My wife's Lexus has air suspension. Not a single issue at 90k miles. Virtually all big rigs ride on air and it is usually not the most problematic area. Air suspension used to cause lots of headaches back 20-30 years ago. The quality of materials used back then was inferior (seals, gaskets etc.) Let's hope Chrysler did their research and is buying air suspension from a reputable and experienced manufacturer. I don't think they are making it themselves.

#7 ·
some info I've come across regarding operation of the air suspension:

The RAM air suspension system provides full time load leveling capability along with the benefit of being able to adjust the vehicle height by the push of a button.

• Automatic height changes occur based on the vehicle speed and the current vehicle height. Indicator lamps and EVIC messages will operate the same for automatic changes and user requested changes.
  • Normal Ride Height (NRH) – This is the standard position of the suspension and is meant for normal driving.
  • Off-Road 1 (OR1) (Raises the vehicle approximately 1 inch (26mm)) – This position should be the primary position for all off-road driving until Off-Road 2 is needed. If the vehicle exceeds 50 MPH the vehicle will automatically lower to NRH.
  • Off-Road 2 (OR2) (Rises the vehicle approximately 2 inches(51 mm)) – This position is intended for off-roading use only where maximum ground clearance is required. If the vehicle speed exceeds 25 MPH, the vehicle will be lowered to OR1.
  • Aero mode (Lowers the vehicle .6 in(15mm))-1500 models only – This position provides improved aerodynamics by lowering the vehicle The vehicle goes into Aero mode when the vehicle speed remains between 62 MPH and 66 MPH for greater than 20 secs, or if the vehicle exceeds 66 MPH.
  • Entry/Exit mode (Lowers the vehicle approximately 2 in (51 mm)) – This position lowers the vehicle for easier passenger entry and exit as well as lowering the rear of the vehicle for easier loading and unloading of cargo. To enter Entry/Exit mode, press the down button once from the NHR while the vehicle speed is
So I don't think issues will arise from the mechanical components, airbags have been around long enough that I'm sure mechanically they are sound. What I do worry about, and likely enough to cause me to forego the air suspension is the software running the show. Chrysler has a spotty record with software as of late regardless, and clicking around ramforumz I came across a few guys who are seeing their RAMs completely misbehaving. One guy says when he tries to lower the truck will bounce right back up after a couple seconds. Plus if you do some digging around into the Jeep Quadra Lift suspension which is basically the same as the RAM suspension you will find it is rife with issues...

Another guys truck is stuck in offroad 2 and refuses to come back down!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.