Diesel RAM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already put about 1500 miles on my new truck so far. I have been driving it very conservatively, Is there any specific way that you break-in your truck or any specific way that is better then others? I'm just curious and want to get the best mileage and most life out of my truck. Thanks in advance

>:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
The manual says there is no break in period. However diesels dont really break in untill close to 70K right??
You are not far off. My Duramax finally stopped burning oil at 80K. I guess it wasn't made to just carry groceries.

The best way to break in any engine is to vary engine speed as much as possible during the break in period.

·
Registered
963 Posts
You are not far off. My Duramax finally stopped burning oil at 80K. I guess it wasn't made to just carry groceries.

The best way to break in any engine is to vary engine speed as much as possible during the break in period.
yup, varying engine speed/rpm is the best way to go about it.
i know people that have done this and people who have just driven their vehicles easy from the start and those who have done the latter are experience oil burning.

·
Registered
82 Posts
How can you tell once its broken in? Do you just wait till about 70k or is there something else that can tell you that its broken in?
In my case, I noticed that the oil consumption went way down from a quart in 1500 miles to maybe a half quart in 5000 miles. I suspect that it took a long time because of light duty driving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts