Diesel RAM Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. just joined the forum today. I don't own an EcoDiesel. I joined the forum to keep an eye on what's going on with the ED platform as I'm considering it for my next truck to replace my 2002 F-150.

Was curious. What are the ramifications of running the DEF tank empty? And what are the effects of running the truck while the tank is emptry? If RAM is advertising that the DEF can go service to service (10,000 miles), then what would happen if you did it regardless of the level of the DEF tank? Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry meant to mention. I searched but could not find an answer. I apologize if this issue has been addressed already.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
If the DEF tank runs empty, The computer will shut down the truck untill it is filled. Good news is that you can get it at any auto parts store or truck stop...

This is not RAMs fault, it is a law now for the emissions. All new diesels do it.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
If the DEF tank runs empty, The computer will shut down the truck untill it is filled. Good news is that you can get it at any auto parts store or truck stop...

This is not RAMs fault, it is a law now for the emissions. All new diesels do it.
I don't think it shuts down the engine, that would be pretty unsafe. However it does not let you start it again once you shut it off is the DEF tank is empty.

·
Registered
111 Posts
FAQ Diesel Exhaust Fluid

Q. What happens if the vehicle runs out of DEF?
A. Vehicles will have indicators on the dash that will alert the driver of the quantity of DEF left. A low level warning lamp will illuminate when the fluid is low. If the vehicle runs completely out of DEF, power will be reduced enough to encourage the operator to refill the DEF tank. Once levels are back up, the engine will resume normal power levels.

·
Registered
173 Posts
at first you'll be limited to 5mph for short time/distance, after prolonged running without DPF you will not be able to restart.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I don't think it shuts down the engine, that would be pretty unsafe. However it does not let you start it again once you shut it off is the DEF tank is empty.

yea thats what i meant.... randomly turning off the engine while towing at 70 would be not good... and a lawsuit.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Depending on how you use the truck, you might not get 10,000 miles from the DEF tank. I had 5,000 miles and a tad more than 1/2 a tank without towing.

After towing just 1.500 miles the tank dropped another 1/4 tank of DEF. That consumption is based on fuel mileage.

Also, the whole thing is NOT much of an issue. DEF is available from a pump for less than $3 a gallon at most all truck stops.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would like to see 5 members on this site who think they might hit 10k miles on a single tank of Def.. My guess is class action or a retro fit for a larger tank.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Here I am.

Before I towed there was over 5,000 miles on the truck and the DEF tank was just over 1/2. Fuel mileage was a solid 25 or so for those first miles. I think it will go 10K if you drive open road and don't tow.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I think the opposite. I lost the most DEF while driving highway from SC to DE. Riding around in town i use almost nothing. This is mainly bc i am not above 60 for 20 min for the regen. I think it will last longer in town rather than on I-95

·
Registered
3 Posts
No towing, less than 30 days old, 3800 miles, 85% Highway. Was less than 1/4 tank. I average 23mpg.

If I legitimately have problems with the emissions I would consider jerking it out. Lot of money to gamble on no warranty though so it would have to really impact me time wise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts