Diesel RAM Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see some postings where people are comparing their analysis of diesel vs gas for payback. Our prices move some, but in general

85 octane - 3.49
87 octane - 3.59
91 (premium) - 3.71
Diesel - 3.60

So diesel generally falls right around the midgrade. Considering the higher grades of fuel for most gas turbos, it's borderline a wash on the fuel cost, but diesel has more energy.

How close is the gap where you live?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not here....87 yesterday the lowest I saw was 2.89. Diesel lowest price was 3.59. I ended up paying 3.69 cause I also wanted to fill my Def & the truck stop I went to had Def at the pumps.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
In Southern Ontario, I see $1.19 l for diesel and $1.25 l for gas that equates to $4.50 diesel and $4.73 gas per US gallon.

You still need to figure out mpg. If you're comparing your travel cost between an ED and Pentistar without towing, they're pretty close, but the ED does much better than the Hemi.

If you calculate the cost per 100 miles of the ED and whatever gas truck you're comparing to, you will have a better comparison of driving cost.

(of course you have to figure DEF, maintenance, towing load et all, to get a true cost but were just talking fuel here,)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Wow, Canadian prices suck. I'm surprised too since you guys seem to have good oil reserves in canada, i think alberta is one of them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow, Canadian prices suck. I'm surprised too since you guys seem to have good oil reserves in canada, i think alberta is one of them.
Heha, yea... The largest Oil/fuel refinery in Eastern Canada is two hours away and it costs more here then four more hours beyound my home town. I can drive 15 min to the US side of the Border and get my fuel (from the same brand/fuel/ and same tanker truck) for 2/3 of the price. I know it is the same tanker becasue I followed it from Canada and saw it pull in while I was filling up.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts

It's all about exchange rates and taxes. We have oil but it's sold at world market prices, no discount for local. Road taxes are high too, that's dumped on ever gallon we buy. I agree is sux and I've been know to cross the border and fill up.

·
Registered
830 Posts
It's all about exchange rates and taxes. We have oil but it's sold at world market prices, no discount for local. Road taxes are high too, that's dumped on ever gallon we buy. I agree is sux and I've been know to cross the border and fill up.
Its the process, bitumen is expensive to extract, highly energy intensive process. EROI on the tar pits is PISS POOR.

Oil Sands Mining Uses Up Almost as Much Energy as It Produces | InsideClimate News

Ostensibly I would say that is the largest reason for higher pump prices in CAN. Higher pump prices keep the tar pits in the black...

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Its the process, bitumen is expensive to extract, highly energy intensive process. EROI on the tar pits is PISS POOR.

Oil Sands Mining Uses Up Almost as Much Energy as It Produces | InsideClimate News

Ostensibly I would say that is the largest reason for higher pump prices in CAN. Higher pump prices keep the tar pits in the black...
I don't disagree with you however, higher prices in Canada have been the case for much longer than the oil sands have been in production. I used to fillup across the boarder in 1980.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Here in central and south Florida, diesel is about 50 cents a gallon MORE than regular gasoline. Rarely is it less and often it is slightly more.

Now percentage-wise that's say 15%. My truck gets upwards of 50% better towing mileage than comparable gas engines (if they can tow at all) . Someimes, compared to both of my friends' Hemi's. It's closer to 100% better towing mileage.

Normal running finds me getting in the 40-50% better fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Normal running finds me getting in the 40-50% better fuel economy.
Here in NC my local gas station has diesel for 30-40 cents more than unleaded. Currently 3.49 and unleaded 3.15.

10% - I picked up a new travel trailer a few weeks ago (25ft, 5200lbs dry) and was a bit disappointed in the gas milage coming home about 800 miles average 14.5. Although that did included crossing the Appalachian mountains from Ohio east and then south to NC going about 60mph. What are you getting with your T.T.?

·
Registered
412 Posts
About the same.

I tend to "hammer down" on interstates hitting lots of wind resistance. With my old Cummins I did WORSE by about 1-2 mpg

You might be disappointed but it's better than a Cummins and way, way better than any gas engine. Maybe as much as 100% better.

Wind and rolling resistance must be paid for.

Leaving for 10 days right now. Hunting in Georgia and pulling a motorcycle trailer. Wife and I ride around during the afternoons. Pulling this trailer and loaded beyond loaded will still get me 20 mpg. Gotta love it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When I bought my truck just over a month ago diesel was 1.229/L, gas 1.279, now 1.195 and gas 1.259. I figure if the DEF tank holds enough to go 16, 000K DEF will work out to just under 3 cents a L. Oil changes are double the cost, so if changing from a gas pig you will come out ahead. I'm getting better mileage now than my 13 pathfinder, but if you take into account the differences RAM more money, but I am now happy driver where I wasn't happy so i'm good.

·
Registered
200 Posts
When I bought my truck just over a month ago diesel was 1.229/L, gas 1.279, now 1.195 and gas 1.259. I figure if the DEF tank holds enough to go 16, 000K DEF will work out to just under 3 cents a L. Oil changes are double the cost, so if changing from a gas pig you will come out ahead. I'm getting better mileage now than my 13 pathfinder, but if you take into account the differences RAM more money, but I am now happy driver where I wasn't happy so i'm good.
One thing to remember is when comparing oil changes, also remember the intervals. My old gasser was changed every 5000 miles. I ran Mobil 1 full synthetic and a Mobil 1 filter. Average change was 55-65usd. From the research I've done, an oil change on my ed should run around 120-130 usd, but that's every 10000 miles. So essentially it's a wash.

·
Registered
63 Posts
250, I took that into account before I bought the truck. Pathfinder was $40 every 6 000k, ED $200 at least every 16 000K. My dealer hasn't even figured out how much to charge yet as they haven't done one yet. But listening to others on this site it will be at least 200. I wish my oil changes were 120, but doesn't matter, I'm still really happy with my truck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts