Diesel RAM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The FreeP published an interesting piece about the surging popularity of diesel despite the price fluctuations.

the price fluctuations are linked to circumstances unrelated to those affecting prices for gasoline. Gasbuddy.com chief oil analyst Tom Kloza explains that part of the swings that occurred this winter was due to the similarities between diesel and heating oil in wide use throughout Europe and the Northeastern United States. Another factor was increased demand for natural gas, prompting utilities and businesses to use diesel to generate electricity. Those and other unnamed factors drove the global price for a barrel of diesel between $119 to $130 in Q4 2013 and Q1 2014.
I was wondering out loud earlier if the circumstances unrelated to those affecting gaoline could in fact be the gobbling up of diesel fuel to fund the natural gas hunger, frack frackalack?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Crazy how the price got driven up like that but it's only expected with more diesels on the road and maybe even other factors.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Alright then stop raving about you diesel's and dont give favorable opinions!:D

Diesels are becoming popular because it does not smell or sound like a diesel anymore. My Father in law was so impressed with our EcoD now he is considering a diesel for himself.

Reactions: Accused

·
Registered
314 Posts
I read an article about how London has large amounts of pollution due to diesel though. So basically no matter which fuel type you choose, you are going to be destroying the air and environment somehow.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Here is reason 1: Stored energy per US gallon:
E85 76100 BTU
Gas 114000 BTU
D#2 129500 BTU
1 BTU is the energy to either heat or cool 1 pound of water by 1 degree F.
(1 Ton in for A/C is 12,000 BTU's)

Reason 2:
E85/Gas air fuel ratio is stoiciometric, meaning that air fuel ratio is the same for all throttle positions. The approximate air fuel ratio is 15 parts air to 1 part fuel. Diesel is non-stoiciometric, Air-fuel ratio varies from 23:1 at full throttle to over 100:1 at idle. So at full throttle for the same displacement engine as gasoline, you use less fuel to obtain the same theoretical power output.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read an article about how London has large amounts of pollution due to diesel though. So basically no matter which fuel type you choose, you are going to be destroying the air and environment somehow.
Listen man, vehicle consumption of hydrocarbons is a meaningless blip in the macro view of the global machine. Its easy to put the blame on consumers, it just means we'll need to purchase new products to displace our poor unethical , anti fair and anti equal products, meanwhile the real issues continue to whirr on in the background sight unseen. Lifestyles bought and sold...

Those superships and tankers that move everything from cheap Chinese trinkets to war torn oil to cocaine and governement funded opium DESTROY and I mean DESTROY on a level no mass of diesel auto mobiles could EVER produce. London has had large amounts of pollution since they first figured out how to use coal, don't let these idiots think for you.

1 ship= 50 million cars. (so says some guy)

15 Largest Cruise Ships Pollute More Than all the Cars in the World | Humans Are Free
Big polluters: one massive container ship equals 50 million cars

and this if you want to make sense of a whole whack of other "truths" were sold about energy and oil. The Oil Drum | Twenty (Important) Concepts I Wasn't Taught in Business School - Part I

·
Registered
350 Posts
Do you think we will ever hit that magic point when diesel vehicles become accepted and popular in North America? It seems weird that Europe is so much more okay with diesel than NA is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts