Diesel RAM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when RAM thought they were gaining on the F150, it looks like Ford is actively planning a diesel powerplant for the F150 as well.

Ford is bringing over a 5 cylinder powerstroke diesel in the Transit Van and it is expected that the engine will be quickly added to the F150 stable. In the transit it will be capable of 197 hp and 347 ft-lbs of torque. I have no idea on how scalable that power is because from a marketing standpoint ford is going to need to advertise at least 200 hp.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ford is really playing hard in the truck segment. Aluminum everywhere, now the diesel which is on top of the EcoBoost which was already playing hard ball. Just when Ram thinks that it is doing well, Ford comes along and moves the goal posts further away.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well you didn't expect Ford to take things laying down did you? Ford knows whats up and seems to be one step ahead of the competition in the truck segment. Once Ford actually comes out with this engine and we can compare it to the Ram's engine.

Which one do you think will win out?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Well you didn't expect Ford to take things laying down did you? Ford knows whats up and seems to be one step ahead of the competition in the truck segment. Once Ford actually comes out with this engine and we can compare it to the Ram's engine.

Which one do you think will win out?
As much as I love RAM products and the new diesel, Ford does make amazing trucks and products, could be even game, or the ball in Fords court.

·
Registered
350 Posts
As much as I love RAM products and the new diesel, Ford does make amazing trucks and products, could be even game, or the ball in Fords court.
Ford just has such a good reputation in the truck industry. If Ford makes a truck that is identical to Ram, people would choose the Ford. I'm not saying that Ford's truck aren't good or anything, I just think that part of their success is due to brand reputation. Its hard to figure out how to overcome that. Similar to how American luxury brands are always trying to overtake the German luxury brands.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Rep has a lot to do with it, they're lucky they have it the way it is.
All Ram can do is have unique offerings and be the good 2nd option.

·
Registered
691 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how this goes down

They will def need to tune this or up the boost to get some more power out of it. Its a 3.2L btw.

·
Registered
963 Posts
in the coming production years they probably will
im going to wait for the reviews just to see how good it actually is

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm not entirely sure where it would sit in the lineup as it makes more torque than the V6 but less hp.

It def doesnt make as much hp or torque as the ecoboost. It also falls short to the V8...

this motor seems to make good torque but just not very much HP. Granted the diesel 1500 doesnt make that much either @ 240. Plus the ram makes 420lb-ft of torque...

Maybe they will bank on being lightweight...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Rumors are 290-300hp.

Expected to be 2018 though...

Also rumors of a 10 speed transmission. Those numbers keep going up!!

By 2050 we will have 20 speed transmissions. Wonder if the diesel will also sport the aluminum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts