Diesel RAM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It will take you 10 plus years to recoup the several thousand dollar difference in price between a 3.0 and a 5.7l, and not to bag on the Motori, but so far I havent witnessed it as a 1M motor like the cummings can be.

How many of you just straight like diesel better, cost, access to fuel, your use of the truck, the way it drives etc....????

So far, I just like it better, mostly subjectively. I may actually be better served with a 5.7 so weighing it out, financially at least, the gas motor is tough to beat.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It will take you 10 plus years to recoup the several thousand dollar difference in price between a 3.0 and a 5.7l, and not to bag on the Motori, but so far I havent witnessed it as a 1M motor like the cummings can be.

How many of you just straight like diesel better, cost, access to fuel, your use of the truck, the way it drives etc....????

So far, I just like it better, mostly subjectively. I may actually be better served with a 5.7 so weighing it out, financially at least, the gas motor is tough to beat.
Just my .02.....I've done the math and at current fuel prices and my average driving of 10000 miles a year, the 2423.00 ecodiesel upgrade will pay for itself in 3.59 years. Now I'm low compared to many as most drive 15000 to 20000 miles a year. If you do drive 20000 miles a year that upgrade paid for itself in just shy of 2 years. My math is figured on 25 mpg average on the diesel @ 3.69/ gal. & 16 mpg average the hemi @ 3.44/ gal. Now say my averages are off a little based on personal driving habits, I'd still say it will pay for itself for me still under 4 years. I normally keep trucks 10 years, so the 1 million mile longevity I'm not concerned about.

I've been borrowing my dad's hemi the last several weeks till my ecodiesel comes in & granted it's an 05 so it doesn't shut off cylinders at highway speed, but I'm averaging 13.6 mpg. That's county roads some highway and some city.

I cant speak for everyone, but I'm personally buying the ecodiesel because I need more of a family ride with the ability to tow 10 - 15 times a year and nothing I have will be over 6500 lbs.I believe this appeals to many because dealing with crap fuel mileage the other 349 days a year is silly. I firmly believe if towing ability is a concern, due to multiple heavy loads frequently, a 3/4 ton diesel is the way to go and if you do that much towing fuel economy probably doesn't matter anyways.

Hope this helps! And remember, this is just my needs and by no means is this a one size fits all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I reasons for the diesel in line with Katoom's, I commute to work and back at 190 km (about 120 miles) a day, 4 times a week. The milage alone is what sold me on the Diesel. currently I am getting about 26 -28 mpg (EVIC avg) and I tow a 1250lb SxS and the trailer (max 3800 lbs) on the weekends to the family cottage, still getting better MPG then my Fathers chipped 2007 Ford f150 Triton package (his without a trailer).
I dident need or want a Heavy Duty truck since my RAM is my primary and the ability of the vehicle suited my needs and wants. It was a no brainer for me to pass on the HEMI for the EcoDiesel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at purchasing and so far have been offered an $8150 discount on a well equipped Big Horn Hemi. The comparably equipped ecodiesel is 4k more (you cant just use the diff between hemi/eco as they equip them differently and wont discount an ordered unit as much as an in stock truck) and they will not discount as aggresively as the gas model so the delta for me today is a LOT more than 2350, probably closer to 5k. Diesel and gas are about the same but you know they fluctuate seasonally (gouge) so the repay is beyond my projected ownership. I do like the good mileage, but in my case, looks like I would pay a premium to have the diesel in my driveway. :(

My personal opinion is that the diesel drives better, I like the torque delivery of the motor, fits my driving style. I would RATHER have the eco but not for 5k. I am in the midst of negotiating, will let you guys know how it turns out.

·
Registered
200 Posts
That above deal included the 500.00 off mail voucher that I signed up for. Do some searching. Most will do invoice or a little better.....on a 53k truck there is somewhere around 1600 in holdback.....they have absolutely no overhead in an ordered unit. Tell em you want 500 under invoice + all the rebates. They are still making money!

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you commute in the city it helps a lot, not sure if that's what you do or not, not too familiar with new brunswick.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered mine and got dealer invoice price on my laramie. Total off sticker was $10,914.00 including rebates/incentives.
As a percentage I am getting the same deal, about 1500 better on the gas vs. the diesel and the 2850 bump for the eco plus a few hundred in difference on options is making the delta close to 5k

msrp on gas 38600 -8150
msrp on eco 41700 -6500

I would buy the diesel if they would match the percentage off on the gas truck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now they are telling me I cant lease it (the eco diesel). LOL This is hard work.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've tracked all of my fuel costs for the Eco diesel and track it against what my 2008 Hemi would have got. I estimate the HEMI mpg as I hand calc'd the MPG for every tanks. I feel it is a fair estimate. I add to the fuel cost the "premium" price for diesel fuel.

In 6,100 miles, I've saved an estimated $525 in gasoline.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is pretty impressive. BUT, I will likely only drive it 10K a year, it will not be my primary driver, (one of the reasons I dont care THAT much whether I get the eco or gas) and even if I saved that much, I only want it for 3 years. I have to drive a newer truck for work, so I am just weighing out the $$$$ I do think if they can get me the diesel, it is worth a larger payment and could still be the better deal. So far not but I dont have to have it today so I will keep working on it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Resale will be better for the diesel and if you only drive it for 3 years and 30K you will not make back the investment. I would suggest a Pentastar V6 model.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
That is pretty impressive. BUT, I will likely only drive it 10K a year, it will not be my primary driver, (one of the reasons I dont care THAT much whether I get the eco or gas) and even if I saved that much, I only want it for 3 years. I have to drive a newer truck for work, so I am just weighing out the $$$$ I do think if they can get me the diesel, it is worth a larger payment and could still be the better deal. So far not but I dont have to have it today so I will keep working on it.
I'm a die hard diesel guy because I keep my vehicles a long time, they are daily drivers, and I pull a boat. If I was in your situation I would buy the pentistar.

Reactions: Accused

·
Registered
7 Posts
One thing I hate about the $$ comparisons between ED and Hemi, is that most of the calculations on the internet compare them both as Hwy/city/avg. Now this would work great for those that don't tow anything and are using them as a daily driver. The math is pretty straight forward. Where it gets complicated is if you do tow and what you tow, this is where the pay back for the ecodiesel really shows true value.
Anyone knows that the Hemi when towing drops significantly than the diesel. To me if your looking at payback as one of your main reasons for buying a diesel, I would suggest taking into account the percentage you tow and then do the comparison, as you will see some significant savings.
Just my .02

·
Registered
50 Posts
To the OP, I basically was in the same position as you. I could not find an ED equipped or in the color I wanted locally, not to mention priced fairly. I searched neighboring states and still had a difficult time finding one. So I checked on ordering one, and found the premium to order an ecodiesel equipped like I wanted was about $5k more than an in-stock hemi truck. It wasn't working for me. Luckily I stumbled into a deal that basically had the diesel discounted more than a similarly equipped Hemi. It was a demonstrator truck with 5k miles on it. Only issue for me was that it is 2wd and not 4wd, but is a Longhorn. So I ended up with a Longhorn 2wd Ecodiesel that fits 99% of my needs and is equipped with a bit more than I originally was planning on getting. BTW, check out the outdoorsman package. They seem to have the highest rebates for the gas models.

IMO, if you are only keeping the truck for about 3 years and you only drive 10k miles a year, the hemi is probably the better choice. For those recommending the gas V6, I did the numbers on it vs the Hemi and it really isn't that much better than the Hemi. most people are real world averaging about 18mpg with the V6 pentastar while the Hemi is averaging about 16.5-17 in mixed driving.

Right now I am averaging about 26 mpg in mixed driving with my ecodiesel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Resale will be better for the diesel and if you only drive it for 3 years and 30K you will not make back the investment. I would suggest a Pentastar V6 model.
I am going to lease it. So far the lease is cheaper than the depreciation/interest.

I am not interested in the V6.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Right now I am averaging about 26 mpg in mixed driving with my ecodiesel.
Thanks Chief, that is kind of what is happening. The only reason I started looking at the ram was the eco diesel, so little annoyed they wont cut the same deal as on the Hemi. And its not like I cant find one, the dealer I am talking to has TWO identical black eco's. Usually black is one of if not the least popular truck colors sold. Maybe Ram buyers are different? : )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yesterday you said you were looking to purchase and a lease was not available.
Purchasing "acquire" as in buy or lease. One dealership has told me this, I have not confirmed it with anyone else. Has anyone here leased an eco???

The lease on the 5.7L is STUPID cheap. Its a little more than my cell bill with nothing out of pocket.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts