Diesel RAM Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Would not consider a gas truck as it's fuel alone is quite a problem. Gas is NOT something you store in extra tanks on the bed, like the current 20 gallon diesel tank I have hooked up on my Eco. Used to have 30 gallon extra tanks on my Cummins, Duramax and old 6.5. Forget it with gas.

Gas is also a pain to deal with because you have to deal with spark plugs and that ignition system. In the Hemi that means not 8 but 16 plugs at a huge expense and all the darn wiring, coils etc.

Oil changes are more often in the Hemi, offsetting the greater expense of the Ecodiesel change.

The engine is "busy" while towing and under tow the fuel mileage flat out sucks. I know. Two friends have them, tow with them and fair tolerate them. They both want one like mine and have never garnered any kind of pride in their ownership. I mean it is a gas engine trying to do the job of a diesel.

If you don't tow, get the Pentastar gas. It's way cheaper, gets reasonable fuel mileage, is reliably built and works. If you tow or haul then there is no gas engine made that will do the job a diesel will.

Posts like this often remind me of an old neighbor on the farm I had in Pennsylvania. He cheated me on the price of some property. I did lots of things for him and never asked for anything in return. When he did that he told me the "dollar talked" and he was always like that.

I told him loudly, in front of his wife, he could take the money he made, roll up in it and keep himself warm in his grave.

Unreal but he died two months later.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well I went down there and they had 6 diesels. 4 of which in a price range I would consider. I drove them both again eco/hemi, and I want the diesel. I may end up buying instead of leasing, but its what drew me to the RAM in the first place and most all of your comments match my thoughts. Higher perceived engine life, lower maint, lower fuel cost, and for me, I like the driving characteristics of the diesel over the Hemi. The eco straight up bolted to 70 on an on ramp, no slouch at all.

Be nice if they would just get me in the same zip code as the hemi on price. Usually not this flippin hard.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Like your attitude.

Lots of Hemi's around they can't sell. Dealers use "tricks" to get rid of them, like saying they are the 2014 Truck of the Year when it was only the Ecodiesel version.

Supply and demand - there are few to no Ecodiesels and because of that, they can bring a bigger price.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well now I know why they SAY they arent leasing them. The residual on the big horn eco I am looking at is 44% for 3/36k. That is extremely low. Usually a manufacturer will artificially promote a new vehicle's value by offering a strong leasing residual. I do not understand RAM at all. But again, still want it.

So, today, I can lease a similary equipped Big Horn Hemi sticker is 393XX for 360-380 a month with NOTHING out of pocket, or I can buy an ECO sticker 417XX for about 650 for 60 months and hope it holds a helluva lot more value than RAM is suggesting it will.

I have to say that while I have been treated well so far, politely and patiently, not one of the three dealers I have spoken to has explained the platform and its various configurations and pricing structure at all. Its almost as though its intended to be confusing. LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I forgot to mention, for the second time I got in a Hemi, BRAND NEW TRUCKS mind you, the valve train/tappets rattled like bolts in a can for a good minute. The sales guys both told me this is common for the Hemi when it sits for any length of time. Sounded TERRIBLE!

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Hemi clatters louder than my diesel upon startup. Of course so does my 4.7 in my Dakota if it sits for awhile. Its simply the lifters pumping up. I don't know of any serious reliability problems with the Hemi so its probably nothing to worry about.

Weird on the residual for the ED at 44% residual. I think Chrysler knows the ED is hot right now and really isn't looking to lease many. However, with that low of residual and looking at how the gas counterparts have held their value, its probably not too bad. Another thing to consider is that 44% is off of the MSRP. Rams are typically selling at 15-20% off of MSRP to being with, so the depreciation isn't really as bad as the residual is indicating.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I haven't had my ED long enough to know how I will do, on first glance it looks good. I have not heard anyone on here talke about the cost of DEF. I plan on recording all my fuel costs and the DEF cost so I can get a true number.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Cannot comprehend a couple things. The cost of DEF should not be a factor compared to a Hemi. Conservative calculations show at least a $500 savings in fuel each 10,000 miles. Using 11 gallons of DEF costs about $30 in bulk. That's "chump change" compared to the savings going diesel.

As for the fellow who started this topic, read the above.

No clue what you mean about how Ram makes money selling your new Hemi or any of the trucks. You never gave any details in your final post. Ram over prices them to start and then you should work a deal off of that. Saw your MSRP was around $39K. So maybe you paid $29K for that truck. FYI my 4 x 4 Ecodiesel quad cab with lots of "stuff" MSRP'd at $41K. I paid $32K. Ram/Chrysler made money and others have even got better deals.

·
Registered
69 Posts
In march I was fortunate enough to negotiate an $11,250 discount/rebate on my longhorn. Shortly after that they were offering $10k discounts on gas trucks but only $6k on diesels. That difference coupled with the healthy option charge for a diesel would make it difficult to justify economically. But sometimes it's fun to buy something "just because you want it" & to **** with justification!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
@10% While I had heard others had gotten -10K deals they are not the norm on the eco diesel here is SoCal so far as I have seen, and -10k off was pretty easy to negotiate on the gas truck.

Aside from the fact that they had 6 eco's 3 of which I would have considered RAM offered no leasing incentive and more or less told me they did not want to lease them.

So in my case, the price difference between the ever so slightly better equipped Hemi and the not so heavily discounted ECO was close to 5K and the Hemi had a cheap sign and drive lease slightly more than my cell phone bill. The ECO was not leasable, nor was it competitive to finance it v. the Hemi. Lastly, since it is not my primary and I may drive it even less than 10K a year coupled with my 36 month turnover, the return was not there on the fuel savings v. the added acquisition cost.

If I had intentions of holding it longer or that I would use it substantially more, no question I would have held out for the ECO.

All that said, the Hemi is great. This truck will haul the mail! I am hoping that the truck holds up well and next time around I will have a diesel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What kind of plugs do you use?

Hi, I have a Hemi and I am due to replace the spark plugs. This will be my first time to replace it. Has anyone here upgraded to an iridium or platinum?

Using copper reuires me to replace is more often than the higher type of plugs. Replacing the plugs is a pain to do because of my age.

I have read that platinum and iridium has longer life span so that spares me from the labor of replacing the plugs. But is is worth it if its more expensive? I have read a good article about platinum and iridium plugs for HEMI. Here is the link. But I would like to get some feedback if somebody here had used any of it?

I am leaning towards platinum mainly because it is cheaper than iridium. Any thoughts?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts