Diesel RAM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, guys I have been looking at trucks for over a year now. I put some miles on a rig, around 35 thousand a year. Most of the time my truck is a daily driver commuter but I do a lot of hunting in the fall over 3 states. I will be getting another travel trailer soon. Anyway my concern is I am seeing tons of people complaining on the web. Really how bad is it with these trucks. I am reading horror stories of problems and the dealership giving you crap and not fixing things. Is the diesel in these a problem or is it better than I am thinking. I know people love to complain on the web so it could be a smaller percentage but I am seeing tons of them on here as well. If there was a problem has it been fixed with the new 2016?
Just a worried new truck buyer looking really hard at this one and finding some bad reviews. :nerd:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've posted before that had I read and believed half of what is written about the EcoDiesel, I would have never bought one. BUT, I didn't. I've had mine for over three months now, and other than fueling it up, and not having power fold tow mirrors, I've got no other complaint. well, maybe the issues I've been having with the homelink garage door opener, but I've had that same issue with my Dodge Durango. I think it's a homelink problem, not the trucks.....

I will say, having a diesel is more care then a regular gas engine. you can't just buy any 5w-30 cheap oil and throw it in! and, you are going to have to change that fuel filter much more often than a gasoline fuel filter. it's suggested to be changed ever 15k miles (I've read). plus there's more care for colder weather starting.

BUT, if you want a truck that'll get better fuel mileage than any gas engine, then you'll want a diesel!! I'm getting 19mpg running around town, while my wife's Durango is getting 17. my truck is now the long haul vehicle for when we visit my brothers, or her sister up north. simply because i'll get 26mpg on the highway.

so, just remember, it's YOUR money. if you don't feel comfortable with an EcoDiesel, then don't get it. myself, I'm loving it!! (who knows, maybe i'll be singing a different song in a year or two)

·
Registered
27 Posts
well, I just got a new 2016, so I sure hope that is not the case. I really haven't heard or read the stuff you talk about. I hope it isn't true, or maybe you've been reading the Ford or chevy sites.

I do know my buddy I hunt with is now on his 2nd Ford Ecosomething boost. whatever that is. I really have not been impressed with either of his rigs. He gets an amazing 12 mpg or less towing an ATV. That's impressive. He said if he really babies it he can get over 20 mpg, but he doesn't, and who does.

The stock tires are awful, B rated junk. The windows don't go up and down as they should. I could go on and on. I do know that with my new truck so far everything works as it should. It's quiet, it rides nice. The E rated off road tires on the Outdoorsman are sweet. I was really sad to sell my old Dodge 2500, but so far I love my new 1500 Diesel.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I have posted several times that my 2014 is good other than some weird electronic issues solved with a software update long ago. I tow a 3500 lb utility trailer and 5500 lb travel trailer with it regularly and have a little over 27,000 miles with no issues (knock on wood here). I still get over 30mpg empty with just family on the highway in the 4x4 crew cab laramie. Very happy in my almost 2 years with it

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have only had mine about 3 weeks, but so far I love it. First fill up I got 34.8 mpg (Imperial Gallon), which is about 29 mpg US gallon. That was mostly highway driving. I haven't done enough driving in town to really get a good reading, but according to the computer I averaged about 25 mpg (US Gal), about 30 mpg (Imperial) for the time I was driving in town. And considering the cost for diesel dropped $.09 per litre recently and is supposed to go down some more, it is now much cheaper to drive than my F 150 was. I really like the way the truck rides, much smoother on rough roads than the F 150, and handles nicely. I don't like the computer display or the small arrows used for navigating. They are difficult to use and the display is small. The one on my F 150 was much easier to use. I may get used to it with time, but so far the F 150's dash displays are much better. I would also like to see "full time" gauges, or digital display for engine temperature and oil pressure. Having to find those readings on the computer displays is time consuming, and irritating.

I read all the negative reports, heard some horror stories (mostly from the Ford and GM dealers), and was very apprehensive about getting this truck. Time will tell I guess, but right now I am happy with the decision (other than what it cost).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had no problems w/my ED at all. Had it a year and a half and getting ready to finally fill the DEF fluid back up. Got over 11,000 miles on her since the dealer filled the DEF fluid. I pull a boat 2 to 4 times a week. Great performance, acceleration, and fuel milage. Can't be happier w/my ED.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I thought that the issues some were having, were teething issues from early 2015 on back. Has anyone recently purchased (mid 2015 and newer) had issues? Bought mine in 2/15, coming up to 30K and have had NO issues, except for infotainment flash update, and the unit was working fine before that as well. I can't imagine buying a new 3D today and having a major issue. Also by now, parts are more readily accessible, and more dealer techs have gone through the training to better understand the ins & outs of this powertrain. I'm telling ya, it's a great combo if you don't need to tow heavy, having a diesel in a 1/2 ton, with an 8-speed, coil rears for great ride, and great looking truck inside and out... Can't beat it in my opinion!

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Ive has my 2014 since October 2014, and now I have 53000 miles without a stick of trouble. Follow the maintenance plant and use the right fluids and you can enjoy the great towing and mpg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.