Diesel RAM Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to go with Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks on the front only. The setting is at 2.1 inches of lift. There is a rake of 3/4 inch. These are stock wheels. When tread wears down, I'll probly go with 33's on stock wheels.

Before

After

This came home with me the other day.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would imagine it would stiffen up the ride. What is you take?

The bed cap-cover you have, do you have a link for it? Looks like a fabric type cap that can be easily removed - appears versatile to me, but is it water tight?

Nice Jeep, you would make my employee jealous.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The bed cap-cover you have, do you have a link for it? Looks like a fabric type cap that can be easily removed - appears versatile to me, but is it water tight?

Thanks.

Here is the link. Home page . I am very pleased with the topper. I drove from St.Louis, MO to Louisville, KY 75mph avg in heavy rain and 30mph cross winds in Illinois (Tornado season). When I arrived home nothing in the back was wet. It holds up great and it's a one person job to put up, down, take off and put on. Very glad I bought it. Makes a great camper to. You can roll all walls up to. Its made out of heavy duty water proof fabric.

For the ride....I haven't noticed any difference yet except I sit a little taller. Handles well. Im having the alignment check soon just to make sure it's ok with the lift. Drives down the interstate great. No off roading for the truck, Jeep only.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the adjustable 5100s on the front along with the 5100 rears too on my previous truck. I maxed out the front for the 3 inches and added another leaf to the rear to give it some rake and form extra payload capacity. The ride to me stiffened up a little more than stock, but not too much IMO.

Wonder if the OP feels the same way with his Ram.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks.

Here is the link. Home page . I am very pleased with the topper. I drove from St.Louis, MO to Louisville, KY 75mph avg in heavy rain and 30mph cross winds in Illinois (Tornado season). When I arrived home nothing in the back was wet. It holds up great and it's a one person job to put up, down, take off and put on. Very glad I bought it. Makes a great camper to. You can roll all walls up to. Its made out of heavy duty water proof fabric.

For the ride....I haven't noticed any difference yet except I sit a little taller. Handles well. Im having the alignment check soon just to make sure it's ok with the lift. Drives down the interstate great. No off roading for the truck, Jeep only.
Thanks for the link, That might be the way I go on my next truck!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sure looks like they make a difference in regards to leveling. Surprised the truck is tipped up like that in the back. never noticed that on mine.

Now if you put weight in the back or hook up a tow with some tongue weight, can you lower the front so it's not sagged in the back.

Like your style about wearing out the factory tires first. Always seemed silly to me so many throw away a free ride.

·
Registered
84 Posts

I had one of the toppers on my last vehicle for two years. No issues! Lots of comments from people inquiring about it though.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Sure looks like they make a difference in regards to leveling. Surprised the truck is tipped up like that in the back. never noticed that on mine.

Now if you put weight in the back or hook up a tow with some tongue weight, can you lower the front so it's not sagged in the back.

Like your style about wearing out the factory tires first. Always seemed silly to me so many throw away a free ride.
I usually trade the stockers on a new set. I've got a local guy been dealing with for years so he's pretty good about taking my LIGHTLY used back in a trade. First trip from the dealer is straight to his shop!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here is my two cents worth regarding leveling. I leveled my new GMC 2500HD with top of the line parts and shocks. I also put on tires one size larger than stock. The angles of the half shaft and tie rods obviously changed and that made me nervous. Well, the front end needed a rebuild after 20K miles. That was on a 3/4 ton that never carried a load or towed.

Because of this, I am going to heed the warning in the RAM 1500 owner's manual that says DON'T ALTER THE VEHICLE.

I hope that you don't experience all the headaches and trouble that I had.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just had the toe, caster and camber adjusted. Truck drives like a champ. If anyone decides to lift or level, you will for sure 100% need an alignment. Time to do the Jeep now....

·
Registered
963 Posts
That wall tapered to nothing?

How the heck you get that up there? Trying to figure out if you are sober or not.
if no taper then it must be all skill by my guess. approaching it at the right angle and climbing up at a good pace and control.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts