Diesel RAM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO the Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel just received a Magnaflow option. Considering the popularity of exhausts with pickup owners I figure its only a matter of time (short time) before we see a magnaflow for the RAM EcoDiesel. Figure its just the pipe bends that need to be altered, the 3.0 EcoDiesel is identical..

·
Registered
963 Posts
I do notice more people on forums do but of course there's always those that just like to keep it OEM all the way.
If Magnaflow doesn't come out with a full system I can see people getting their own custom setups made

·
Registered
26 Posts
Problem is, any exhaust system for the new trucks is a complete waste of money, you gain NOTHING. No sound, no power, no mileage, nothing.

These trucks have what amounts to a cork up their tailpipe, the ONLY way you will see any gains is by doing a DPF delete. And those are illegal and have been basically put to bed by the EPA.

No DPF-back exhaust is worth the money it costs, might as well flush your cash down the toilet, it would be mildly more entertaining.

Reactions: LAD_Mvric

·
Registered
112 Posts
Adding aftermarket mufflers may change the sound slightly on this system but thats it. There wouldnt be any performance gains. The emissions on this truck is very up-to-date and altering it wouldn't be a good idea seeing that its around an $8000 system. Thats $8000 you already paid so why throw it away.

Putting The “Eco” In Ecodiesel The new EcoDiesel V-6 achieves 50-state emissions compliance for both tier II and BIN 5. A key enabler is the engine’s cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system, which is controlled by electric valves instead of the conventional pneumatic variety. The system also contributes to rapid start-up. A state-of-the-art Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system also reduces emissions. It incorporates a unique Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) system that, unlike competitive systems, alerts the driver to low DEF levels while also allowing the engine to maintain full power. Other features include: •An insulated DEF tank with heated lines mitigates the effects of cold-weather operation •A passive cooling system (one that does not require engine coolant) for the DEF injector •Exhaust-system refinements to improve the utilization of DEF for NOx reduction while also mitigating harmful DEF crystalline build-up •An exhaust-system design that requires less energy from the engine to achieve optimal emissions conversion temperatures •An exhaust-system strategy that reduces soot output while also improving fuel economy and meeting emissions standards The DEF tank holds eight gallons of fluid. Duty cycle determines refills, but the average interval is about 10,000 miles. DEF is commonly available fuel stations and is also offered by Mopar, Chrysler Group’s dealer network and and Cummins dealers and distributors. The standard engine oil cooler, when the EcoDiesel is used with 5W30 synthetic oil, contributes to a 10,000-mile oil-change interval. The use of B-20 biodiesel is validated and approved for the new 3.0-liter EcoDiesel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nah. Everyone and anyone

I hate it when forums end up being a breeding ground for those who believe they are superior. Forums are for learning and sharing.
Agree big time.

It was a legit question and the guy deserved better than to have someone try and belittle him for asking for some info.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Adding aftermarket mufflers may change the sound slightly on this system but thats it. There wouldnt be any performance gains. The emissions on this truck is very up-to-date and altering it wouldn't be a good idea seeing that its around an $8000 system. Thats $8000 you already paid so why throw it away.

Putting The “Eco” In Ecodiesel The new EcoDiesel V-6 achieves 50-state emissions compliance for both tier II and BIN 5. A key enabler is the engine’s cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system, which is controlled by electric valves instead of the conventional pneumatic variety. The system also contributes to rapid start-up. A state-of-the-art Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system also reduces emissions. It incorporates a unique Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) system that, unlike competitive systems, alerts the driver to low DEF levels while also allowing the engine to maintain full power. Other features include: •An insulated DEF tank with heated lines mitigates the effects of cold-weather operation •A passive cooling system (one that does not require engine coolant) for the DEF injector •Exhaust-system refinements to improve the utilization of DEF for NOx reduction while also mitigating harmful DEF crystalline build-up •An exhaust-system design that requires less energy from the engine to achieve optimal emissions conversion temperatures •An exhaust-system strategy that reduces soot output while also improving fuel economy and meeting emissions standards The DEF tank holds eight gallons of fluid. Duty cycle determines refills, but the average interval is about 10,000 miles. DEF is commonly available fuel stations and is also offered by Mopar, Chrysler Group’s dealer network and and Cummins dealers and distributors. The standard engine oil cooler, when the EcoDiesel is used with 5W30 synthetic oil, contributes to a 10,000-mile oil-change interval. The use of B-20 biodiesel is validated and approved for the new 3.0-liter EcoDiesel.
For me sound alone is a good reason to go with an aftermarket setup or to just go fully custom :D Some big ole pipes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Speaking of exhaust systems, did you know not all of the ecodiesels come with duals. For those of you that like the single exhaust look, it is available.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
id be interested to hear anybodys experiance with swapping out the muffler. I know the DPF is a choke point and not willing to mess with that. how ever this thing is a little too quite and if i could free up a little breathing room then maybe it would help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Being a License Heavy Diesel tech, I cant tell you how much I hate the DPF system. Yes its designed for "emission" but its not the only way to make diesel clean. The biggest issues with the system is If something does go bad its an arm and a leg to fix. Once the DPF filter gets clogged you can send it for cleaning but if need be replaced its a 5000+ part. CAT stopped making highway tractors because they made a system that did not use DEF. Government said NO NO NO, and CAT said screw this. Ask any real truck driver the first thing that causes issues is DEF OR EGR issues.... I will find a way to delete it as its a total cash grab. When the system is new its great.. just give it a year or so when our trucks get some mileage.... Check engine lights, NOX sensors, DPF filters. I have a bluetec Mercedes along with my Ram when new the Mercedes was amazing.. now 4 codes for DEF and NOX sensors. Another issue with DEF fluid is its very corrosive. Spill it on any of the electrical connectors it will eat it. It will then continue eating the wiring loom. ..... I am worried how Chrysler is going to cover it because I know for a fact Mercedes does not....

·
Registered
412 Posts
There was a fellow advertising a DPF back exhaust. I got excited. Quired him.

He meant DEF back. What a disappointment.

You would save some weight. That big muffler and resonator probably don't do much. Surprised they are there as I was told they are more traditional than needed. The sound is muffled with proper back pressure for operation in the CAT/DPF canister and then the DEF one that follows.

Doubt straight pipe after the DEF would make much difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad to hear that Tugboat. First time I've been on a forum and I'm no mechanic. I'm just a guy that wants to LEARN about my new truck and I sure did not know what the **** a Magnaflow is.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts