Diesel RAM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm new to this forum. I currently own a 2012 chrysler 300C (5.7 Hemi) and I am looking to purchase a ram 1500 in the future. But I have a few questions since I am new to the truck market.

I am wondering how confident you guys are when you are passing by others on the highway with a trailer and without a trailer. I am from BC, Canada and I just intend on taking my (future) truck up the mountains to mountain bike, snowboard etc.

Secondly, how do you think the cost of ownership is? High or low? I saw some posts where oil changes cost $200. That's a lot! But since I have a Hemi engine in my current vehicle, I'm sure that this ecodiesel will compensate for the gas mileage. Are there any other costs that I'm missing other than oil change, DEF, and fuel?

Third, I read a post suggesting that in 2017-2018 Ram will get a redesign of the truck. The CEO of fiat-chrysler said that they are "ready to go aluminum" but his "gut feeling" is that they will not. Any thoughts or updates on that?

Also, I am curious about the cold starts of the diesel engine and the DEF. I wonder how it starts in -30 to -40 degrees C. Anyone have any issues with the start in cold temperatures?

Thanks for reading my post! Have a great day!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Welcome!
Can't say I can help much because I live in Southern California, but I will be traveling in winter for ski trips so I have read about using engine block heaters, concerns about DEF at lower temps, starting, gas additives etc., and from what I've read in the forums, it's been pretty much laid to rest.
As for the aluminum, Ford is only the first to market in using aluminum in a truck. Audi pretty much started this 10 years ago with their cars. So there are already many body shops that understand how to repair aluminum frames, and Audi has already worked out all the kinks in regards to structural design, welds, etc. for longevity. Because of this, I think Ford will have some hiccups but I imagine that it would be short lived, and eventually more manufacturers will tip the pendulum where vehicles are predominately aluminum instead of steel.
Just realize that it's not going to charge up a hill like your Hemi, but it will do it no-sweat and with better mileage, and less noise.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I just towed cross country no problem with power towing up steep grades or passing on grades. Power to spare when doing anything without a trailer. The oil changes are a lot. Hopefully will come down as new vendors make approved oil/ filters. I have not added anything other than DEF and Diesel to mine in 14K miles. Cant comment on cold weather or the redesign. There will always be something better though. I say buy a truck that fits your needs when you need one.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I've started my truck in -10C mornings a couple of times without using the block heater and it pauses about 3 seconds to warm the chambers then it starts right up. It's all automatic.

Firemist32 has a great long towing post, search that out first.

Lots of good experiences here as you are already finding out.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum. I've started my truck in -10C mornings a couple of times without using the block heater and it pauses about 3 seconds to warm the chambers then it starts right up. It's all automatic.

Firemist32 has a great long towing post, search that out first.

Lots of good experiences here as you are already finding out.

Cheers.
Thanks for the info! In Vancouver it rarely gets to -10 just in the mountains it gets that cold. Is it true if it is -12 or below we will need to use the block heater? I wonder how long it will take the block heater to work!

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Thanks for the info! In Vancouver it rarely gets to -10 just in the mountains it gets that cold. Is it true if it is -12 or below we will need to use the block heater? I wonder how long it will take the block heater to work!
It's in the manual. You don't need the block heater until it gets real cold. I think it's -20F or -28C. At that temp it needs at least a couple of hours to warm things up. And that's just a recommendation. The truck will start without the heater at that temp but it puts a big strain on the entire electrical system. If you are doing that regularly then plugging it in is recommended.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts