Diesel RAM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nissan's Next-Gen Midsizer Could Get Diesel Power

Ram may have shaken up the 1/2-ton truck segment with its announcement of the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, but Nissan wasted little time in announcing the availability of an optional 5.0-liter Cummins turbodiesel V-8 in the 2015 Titan. The 2015 Titan diesel is highly anticipated by many in the truck world, and probably none more so than Nissan senior vice president of U.S. sales Fred Diaz, saying to The Detroit News, the new model and powertrain "can't come soon enough."Diaz was non-committal on a specific timeframe for the launch of the new truck or engine, but did give a few clues as to what might be under development for the next-generation Frontier midsize truck, which is approaching a decade without a major refresh. The next Frontier is likely due in the next two to three years, and Diaz said multiple powertrain options were being considered for the midsize truck, including a diesel option. At last year's Nissan 360 event, we had a chance to drive a Nissan Navara (global-market Frontier) with a 2.5-liter turbodiesel engine, and came away impressed with its torque and responsiveness.

An exciting possibility for the next-generation Frontier is Cummins' 2.8-liter ISF four-cylinder, which produces around 200 hp and 380 lb-ft of torque. For the time being, the only officially announced collaboration between Nissan and Cummins is the 5.0-liter ISV going into the next Titan, but if that option proves to be a hit in the Titan, it's not far-fetched to imagine Nissan and the diesel powerhouse teaming up again to put a Cummins under the hood of the next Frontier.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Some much innovation and progress in the truck market right now. Trucks have always been the domain of the American brands though. I'm sure this Titan diesel will be a good vehicle but I think the main battle is between Chevy and Ford with Ram bringing up the rear.

·
Registered
830 Posts
how about redesigning the Titan first, that thing is easy 10 years old. And a v8 diesel is not going to be exactly fuel efficient....

a 5.0 cummins v8 diesel is not innovation, that engine has its roots in the stone age ;)

·
Registered
963 Posts
This is actually not a bad idea for light-duty trucks like this. Not everyone with a light-duty truck even use them how trucks were meant to be used. Most of these I see are in the city with nothing in the bed, even outside of the city....NOTHING in the bed, nothing attached.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think that it is pretty clear from how many trucks are sold in the US each year that people who don't need to use the truck for "truck things" are still buying trucks. It is smart for car companies to make trucks that are geared towards just being fun to drive and not necessarily focused on how much weight it can carry in the bed.

·
Registered
830 Posts
well thats why i finid it confusing that the titan is getting the cummins 8. The ecodiesel 6 makes sense, its a pure fuel economy play, but the cummins 8 isn't much more fuel efficient then a typical petrol plant...

·
Registered
963 Posts
I think that it is pretty clear from how many trucks are sold in the US each year that people who don't need to use the truck for "truck things" are still buying trucks. It is smart for car companies to make trucks that are geared towards just being fun to drive and not necessarily focused on how much weight it can carry in the bed.
Crazy how it is. Sadly a lot of people are going to have to part with their trucks in some time. It's an american culture thing.
Diesel engine going into the 1500 should be a sign to those folks

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
People will still buy it

A small truck with a nice big diesel engine

There is a market for that simply for the mileage. I do agree the exterior and interior need an update though.

·
Registered
963 Posts
yup, it's actually an amazing combo, all the utility and truck ruggedness you could want in a truck with the power and fuel efficiency of a diesel, win.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if the revamp the style and add a diesel they might gain some more fans.

the tundra is pretty much holding down the japanese truck market right now

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm curious how fuel efficient the Cummins 5.0 will actually be. Ram can pull down 28 mpg with the EcoDiesel, and it's a much smaller, more modern mill. You're right that the ED is an economy play, and it has reasonable utility. Let's be honest though, once you add up the extra cost of the engine, and the added cost per gallon for diesel, it's not exactly a slam dunk.

With the Hemi and Chevy's 5.3 cracking into the 20's, the economics on the Cummins may not work very well. I can't see how they will be able to sell it for less than $3500-$4000 over a gas V8 (and that's on the low end), and I really can't imagine it doing much better than 25 mpg highway. That makes it a tough sell to the recreational pick-up user.

I'm not saying it won't have it's place, and that it won't sell well, but the economics are more of a reach than the EcoDiesel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts