Diesel RAM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice a significant drop in fuel mileage since the colder weather moved it .. i've gone from 20.5 mpg to 17.5 i have never gotten the big mpg other fokes have with this truck ... it has about 600 miles on it .. im hoping it will improve..

·
Registered
200 Posts
Alot of it is purely driving habits. I'm sure if I didn't leave the fuel economy display on in the evic I would probably lose some mileage. I leave the fuel display up as a reminder to drive conservatively. Many like myself are in a sense hypermiling. I leave the mpg display on and find where I can get the best mileage. There has been a few times I've ran in 7th gear with a decent headwind because I actually lost a mile or so a gallon per evic as the motor was too far under the "sweet" spot. Now, I'm not driving under the speed limit so my driving isn't 100% hypermiling. Heck if I did that I'd be over 30 mpg. The one day I was screwing around and was running 45 mph or so and was showing 38-39 mpg. Alot of us that are getting mid to upper 20s are getting a decent amount of highway miles which helps bring that figure up.

In your concern for your rig in specific. ...600 miles on her? I wouldn't sweat it. Heck my 1st fill up wasn't until I had almost 550 miles on the odometer. There have been several posts as well about hand calculated figures. Don't go solely by the evic display. Also maybe when you bought the truck maybe it wasn't completely full.
The cold weather months folks typically let their vehicles warm up longer as they should. That sitting and idling is burning fuel and the wheels aren't spinning = fuel mileage loss. Tranny fluid takes longer to warm = less fuel economy. Heck I know it's probably splitting hairs but even you differential fluid is thicker till it warms up.

If it makes you feel better my dad's hemi squeezes 13.5 ish out during the winter! !

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Also iv noticed at the milage climbs, my MPG raised. At 600miles, id say the jury is still out.. As for leaving the current MPG on the display, I do this too to ensure i am aware where my foot is at. This helps

·
Registered
314 Posts
If there is snow on the road it takes more energy to get places, so that will decrease your fuel efficiency. Are you just dealing with cold weather, or are you in a snowy area too?

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
And if you are not aware you need to "lift" your foot off the gas at your desired speed to help the truck shift into a higher gear. This helps at freeway speeds a lot

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
And if you are not aware you need to "lift" your foot off the gas at your desired speed to help the truck shift into a higher gear. This helps at freeway speeds a lot
I've been doing this. To further explain, if you accelerate up to your desired speed and then hold your speed or set the cruise the transmission may not have shifted into the highest gear. You will see your tach around 2k. If, when you reach your desired speed, you lift your foot off the gas for a second you will see the transmission shift into a higher gear. Check the tach at around 1.5k. Then you can continue at that speed or set the cruise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts