Diesel RAM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Diesel Power the 1500 EcoDiesel should be most at home on the highway.

On the highway is where the Ram 1500 with the EcoDiesel really excels. Power delivery from the 3.0L V-6 is extremely smooth and incredibly linear, accelerating briskly to well beyond the legal speed limit. While it doesn’t pack quite the same punch off the line as its Hemi-powered brethren (which, at 5.7L, is nearly twice the displacement of the VM V-6), passing is a nonissue thanks to the engine’s 420 lb-ft of torque.
Although I suppose a good chunk of that ability needs to be attributed to the 8 speed gearbox.

Also of note they say that the Diesel is whisper quiet out on the highway...

·
Registered
963 Posts
Considering that the 1500 is an entry-level and what a lot of people will use as just a commuter, this info is just great, at least for those that didn't know this before.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I hope that when people get the EcoDiesel out on the street that the MPG figures hold up. I'm sure that is what is attracting a lot of people to the truck. THe highway MPG rating of 28 is a big draw for me.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hopefully it will come close to or around what it's rated for, it will vary depending on a lot so we might see some slight differences.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It also depends on how you drive the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. You aren't going to be getting 28 mpg if you are accelerating too much, and driving around like you are king of the mountain.
I haven't seen any Ram 1500 EcoDiesels on Fuelly.com but I'll be keeping an eye out.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It also depends on how you drive the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. You aren't going to be getting 28 mpg if you are accelerating too much, and driving around like you are king of the mountain.
I haven't seen any Ram 1500 EcoDiesels on Fuelly.com but I'll be keeping an eye out.
I'm betting we see EcoDiesels averaging 20 mpgs in the real world when all is said and done. The Ecoboost 150 is EPA rated at 16 city/18 combined/22 hwy, most guys pull down 15 combined mpg real world. The two 2014 Ecoboosts on fuelly average 14 mpg, and the 2013s show a medley of 12-15 mpg.... which is funny because theres some guys with V8s pulling down better numbers than some of the Boost guys....

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm hoping to get fuel mileage in the same range as my Sprinter. With a 2.7 liter engine and a fully stocked cargo area (600-700 lbs.), I'm getting 25-26 mpg. all around mileage. Now, that's from a 10 year old motor and 10 year old technology, so I'm figuring it's doable....maybe.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm hoping to get fuel mileage in the same range as my Sprinter. With a 2.7 liter engine and a fully stocked cargo area (600-700 lbs.), I'm getting 25-26 mpg. all around mileage. Now, that's from a 10 year old motor and 10 year old technology, so I'm figuring it's doable....maybe.
that kind of MPG on 10 year old tech ain't too bad.
i'm looking forward to the day we see trucks like these getting far more MPG's but that's likely to happen as a hybrid or EV.

·
Registered
75 Posts
that kind of MPG on 10 year old tech ain't too bad.
i'm looking forward to the day we see trucks like these getting far more MPG's but that's likely to happen as a hybrid or EV.
There's more talk as of late on hydrogen powered vehicles. I'm not sure how they are in terms of efficiency.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts