Diesel RAM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came across a small article about Parksense from Travis Langness at Edmunds and I can't decide if he's stupid or the system is stupid...

The first problem, as detailed in the picture above, is parking poles. At the front of the parking spot are two large poles, meant to protect the railing and keep me from parking to close to the building. The Ram’s parking sensors couldn’t make sense of these when parked, first beeping an alert then omitting the “You’re too close! Stop!” chime and turning all red.

It didn’t seem like I had pulled far enough forward to warrant this response, but I trusted the tech, turned off the truck and got out to discover a 2-foot gap. Not even close. This was a tandem parking spot, so I got back in to move closer.
AND THEN...

So apparently, you can’t get closer than 12 inches without the truck telling you to stop.

In tight spaces though, with a truck this size, having an extra foot is like a mile having an extra mile. Sadly, none of the instructions I read had details on how to adjust the systems sensitivity, so it looks like we’ll be parking with a foot-long buffer zone.
I'm more inclined to think its both. The fact that the system is taken as the be all end all is positively MADDENING, and the fact that its used as a complaint is probably what's wrong with modern 'man'.

You know when the only viable expression is a swearing, yea, right now [Insert favorite phrase here]

Parksense Foibles ? 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test | Hi-Tech Centre

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
I un-bookmarked, and am not following that Edmunds review anymore for this reason. I find the review so nit-picky it's unbearable. The truck they are testing is a crew cab short box, and a previous reviewer complained that he prefers a regular cab long box cause his motorcycle didn't fit. Sheesh, these are supposed to be objective reviews of a complex machine.

That ParkSence works the same as any other system.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I un-bookmarked, and am not following that Edmunds review anymore for this reason. I find the review so nit-picky it's unbearable. The truck they are testing is a crew cab short box, and a previous reviewer complained that he prefers a regular cab long box cause his motorcycle didn't fit. Sheesh, these are supposed to be objective reviews of a complex machine.

That ParkSence works the same as any other system.
can't blame you, they have been said before by other folks that commented in other reivews that they can be like that. hopefully they change.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The more people I meet the more I realize how much mental illness walks in this country.

"My 28ft. boat will not fit in the bed of my pickup". That truck is no good?????

More common is the illogical..."My Ecodiesel is no good. The radio reception is poor."

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I am going with the "he is an idiot". a foot gap is not that big. if it was only 2 inches he would complain it is too close. Also it may be this way bc when you park on a downward hill, the truck rolls forward a little after engaging park. If it only allowed inches you would bump stuff then complain to ram that they must fix your truck.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The more people I meet the more I realize how much mental illness walks in this country.

"My 28ft. boat will not fit in the bed of my pickup". That truck is no good?????

More common is the illogical..."My Ecodiesel is no good. The radio reception is poor."
Yup, it's scary.
I notice it way too often.
But at the same time i'm not all that surprised.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I dont even have that feature on my BIG HORN, I just use my eyes and mirrors... when did it become to hard to be aware of your trucks ninja space? I have never had those features, so I guess I dont miss or complain about what I dont know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts