Diesel RAM Forum banner

Price...

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Accused 
#1 ·
You would think competition would help drive the cost down...

Features and technologies that are currently available on luxury cars can also be expected to find their way into trucks at a much faster rate. And if midsize trucks sell as well as they’re expected to, there’s a good chance that other manufacturers may be tempted to introduce their own models into the segment.

One issue that can’t be overlooked though is price. Advanced engine technology, luxury features, and technology doesn’t come cheaply, and that means manufacturers are having to charge more for their trucks. Buyers who last purchased a truck 10 years ago would be shocked to see the prices that their local dealerships are charging. You can option a GMC Canyon up well over $40,000, and a Ford F-150 with all the options is well over $60,000.

As prices on pickup trucks creep up well past some luxury cars and sports cars, don’t be terribly surprised if a budget-friendly alternative finds its way into the market. That could be the upcoming redesigned Nissan Frontier, but there’s also a second generation Honda Ridgeline slated for the future. Could that be the wallet-friendly midsize pickup truck that’s missing from the U.S. market?

#4 ·
Yea I think that the segment will grow with both lower cost and higher end options. Ideally they want to segment it up enough that there is a truck for everyone no matter what the budget or needs.
But not everyone needs a truck which means you're producing product for people who have no intention of purchase. Thats a slippery slope...

We already have manufacturers/the used market covering all needs, GM is already seeing overlap between Canyon and Silverado... Now if someone wants to bring back the TRUELY small truck like my Ranger I'm all ears... but even so its not going to amortize like the big trucks do which will drive cost up. Cannibalization is never a good thing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.