Diesel RAM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is any body have issue with the remote auto start for distance , the factory type only works a very short distance if at all ,a lot of playing around to know if even started . I had a after market on my old truck and would falsh back when started and would work a mile distance , the factory order type is junk !! Heard this from many guys would not order again with remote start .

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
New topic so I moved this to a new thread.

I have the factory remote start and it works pretty good. The horn chirps twice and the parking lights flash twice, the doors lock and then the engine starts. Once running, the parking light come on solid so I know it's running. It will run for 15 minutes then shut itself down. You can start it one more time without inserting the key in the ignition. You can turn off the horn chirp in the menu system on the dashboard.

There are some limitations in distance. If I have a clear line of site I can be further away. It consistently works at about 40 yards. My office is on the second floor so if I go over to the window closest to the truck, it will work a little further away.

If I'm in a mall parking lot and a couple of rows over with lots of cars between then I have to be pretty close, about 5 car lengths away for it to work.

Here's a crazy question for such a new truck, but have you tried a new battery in the remote?

·
Registered
406 Posts
5 car lengths away is still quite disappointing.
I have had cars start from much further away, all in a big city.
OEM's need to become more sophisticated with these systems

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
I just went out for lunch. I started it with the key fob at the front door of the office then counted off the paces to my truck in a parking lot. 75 paces and I'm 6'2". I'm happy with the way mine works.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine works pretty much as the other's have described. Clear line of sight and I can get 50-75 yards easily. In a crowded parking lot, that range drops dramatically to less than 20 yards. If you have the uconnect service you can start it from your phone from anywhere. I used that function this summer here in AZ to cool off the truck from my office cube. I'll miss it if I don't renew the service when it expires.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Starter remote

Thanks good to know about the uconnect how do you set this up please would like to try

·
Registered
200 Posts
Uconnect is cool, but not for the monthly fee cool. I'm going to agree with the disappointed crowd. I had an 04 dakota with aftermarket remote start that was installed in Christmas of 04. I was spoiled as that unit had something like a 1000 foot start distance. The absolute furthest my ram has worked was 91 yards ( experimenting with my range finder a couple months back). That was 100% clear line of sight. I'd say my norm is 30-40 yards in a busy parking lot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just call the Uconnect assistance number 877-855-8400. You have to pair your phone to your truck first and you have to download the uconnect app to your smartphone. Your truck will not pair w/iphones though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It usually comes free for a year w/purchase of vehicle. It also depends on which package came w/your truck. I'm surprised your salesman or dealer didn't tell you about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts