Diesel RAM Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am researching mounting a autohome maggiolina airtop on my roof. Yakima, Rhino and Thule seem to be the major roof support suppliers. Any one using these or what. Static load versus dynamic ( usually rated for 150lbs ). Maggiolina air top is 118lbs so falls in the drivable dynamic range. Tall enough to clear my Sirius antenna ( maybe ). I am aware of whistling may occur depending on bar design and the particular supports on offer.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I used to work at REI, and I've owned both Yakima and Thule racks, both great products. I looked up the AutoHome Maggiolina and it is VERY cool! Having that said, I think you have some research to do. Assuming (2) adults at 170 lbs(?) each w/the weight of the Maggiolina, that's 460 lbs... Quite a bit, huh?! You would need at least (3) cross bars. Also where are you mounting this? Over the cab, or do you have a cap? Either way, you would need to check to see how much either could support. In other words, call both RAM, and the shell/cap if you have one. While your at it, I would also call Yakima and Thule's tech support. They are both great for customer service. You did mention that you need to clear your shark antenna, Thule makes a 'high-foot'. Don't know if they still make it or have a replacement for it.
I also don't think that you will get enough of a spread between the two outermost crossbars to provide proper support to the Maggiolina. In other words, the length of the cab is probably shorter than the length of the Maggiolina, unless the back half of the Maggiolina would be supported by a crossbar over the forward portion of the bed. You also have to think of the curvature of the front door, how it turns down to meet the windshield and to lower aerodynamic drag by reducing the frontal area. Because the front crossbar will have to be level with the other bars you can't push it too far forward because it will start to go on the lower part of the door. This means that your spread will be reduced. (Notice the pictures on the Maggiolina website, all the pictures show a vehicles roof line that provides a flat load floor. (Also those older SUV's that they show have full length rain gutters which makes it easier to install crossbars for the Maggiolina.) Finally, you may want to consider a ladder rack instead. They make them for both camper shells or without camper shells.... Good Luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very Good Overview

I used to work at REI, and I've owned both Yakima and Thule racks, both great products. I looked up the AutoHome Maggiolina and it is VERY cool! Having that said, I think you have some research to do. Assuming (2) adults at 170 lbs(?) each w/the weight of the Maggiolina, that's 460 lbs... Quite a bit, huh?! You would need at least (3) cross bars. Also where are you mounting this? Over the cab, or do you have a cap? Either way, you would need to check to see how much either could support. In other words, call both RAM, and the shell/cap if you have one. While your at it, I would also call Yakima and Thule's tech support. They are both great for customer service. You did mention that you need to clear your shark antenna, Thule makes a 'high-foot'. Don't know if they still make it or have a replacement for it.
I also don't think that you will get enough of a spread between the two outermost crossbars to provide proper support to the Maggiolina. In other words, the length of the cab is probably shorter than the length of the Maggiolina, unless the back half of the Maggiolina would be supported by a crossbar over the forward portion of the bed. You also have to think of the curvature of the front door, how it turns down to meet the windshield and to lower aerodynamic drag by reducing the frontal area. Because the front crossbar will have to be level with the other bars you can't push it too far forward because it will start to go on the lower part of the door. This means that your spread will be reduced. (Notice the pictures on the Maggiolina website, all the pictures show a vehicles roof line that provides a flat load floor. (Also those older SUV's that they show have full length rain gutters which makes it easier to install crossbars for the Maggiolina.) Finally, you may want to consider a ladder rack instead. They make them for both camper shells or without camper shells.... Good Luck!
Informative, I have reflected on the curvature issue and thought it could be problem. The one modern truck in the gallery at the autohome site appears to be a Ford F150/250? The Maggiolina does protrude both over the bed and windshield so I have thought about that, Ford appears to have flat roof compared to the RAM 1500 CC. Rack will not fly ( I have thought about it and unless I go very custom the "rambox" just does not work with "almost" any ladder rack ( one available has limited reviews with noise/whistling comments )). Thanks for the articulate overview.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Oh, didn't realize that you had a Rambox... That would definitely complicate things. Have you tried calling the company and asking if they have any clients with late model 1500's? Or perhaps the company has a forum where owners chime in? Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts