Diesel RAM Forum banner

Second turbo

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Accused 
#1 ·
I wonder how long it take for people to develop a second turbo kit.

From what everyone complains in the reviews is the ecodiesels lose top end torque at higher rpm. Wouldn't a second turbo tuned for the high end of the rpm spectrum correct that problem?

#2 ·
First thing that has to come is tuning. Now, the big question is what that tuning entails; will it be emissions-compliant or will it be DPF/EGR/SCR delete? THAT's the big question.

Next is transmission, what's the point at which the trans is overwhelmed by torque? Because even this little 3.0 will put out some torque if pushed. Now, the 8 speed is rated up to, I believe around 650-680ft-lb capacity roughly in certain applications (Rolls Royce comes to mind). Are the differences between versions something as easy as torque converter and tuning, or more significant internal upgrades (I believe it's more internal upgrades)?

Then and only then should turbos be looked at, more power is worthless if the trans won't hold it.

I think (hope) that a good tune to put it in the 350hp/600ft-lb range will come out, and a trans tune will allow it to hold more power before having to tear into it. It's all unknown at this point.

Also, if the engine starts falling off on the top end, a simple tune will cure that without getting into turbo upgrades.

#3 ·
hey dravas welcome to the boards number one.

Second, there are a few tunes already available for the WK2 Ecodiesel Grand Cherokee from Racechip, Steinbauer and Bluespark. From what I've found on the Jeep Forums Bully Dog, H&S, Banks and the likes were apprehensive for doing a tune for the WK2 Ecodiesel because they were not sure of the demand, however with the Ram Eco selling like it already has I'm sure those big names will be on the scene very shortly...

#4 ·
Well yes all of that has to be addressed and I am not looking for raw horsepower.

You set the turbos to compliment each other so right before one drops off the other spools up and takes over...if done correctly you wont notice or see much torque gain but you will see steady torque throughout all power bands.

You can tune to all your hearts content but you will never beat the physics limitations of turbos.

Compounding Crash Course - Diesel Power Magazine

I probably will never touch it till later in the trucks life but its fun to read about.

#7 · (Edited)
Its not really necessary on the Ecodiesel. You've already got a very linear power delivery, you can see your peak torque does come in fairly early. At the top of the rev band you're still kicking out about 300 ft lbs however...

Plus it uses a variable geometry turbo, so already lag has been minimized by altering the geometry of the housing through varying RPM's..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.