Diesel RAM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had some cold weather in the last few months, today showing -24C on the truck thermo. The truck started just fine and I let it warm up for about 10 min while I got a coffee and a quick bite, however when I came back the exhaust from the truck smelled so bad. It could be that the DEF is frozen and is not doing its job, but I could smell a terrible sour smell from over 30 feet away. I could smell it for a few minutes while in the cab, but once I got to work it was fine. Anyone else encounter this?

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Coldest it's been here so far is -18C and I haven't smelled anything like that.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm not really sure about this smell but the funny thing is that "sour diesel smell" in Google just brings up a whole bunch of info on a strain of marijuana called "sour diesel".

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have had some cold weather in the last few months, today showing -24C on the truck thermo. The truck started just fine and I let it warm up for about 10 min while I got a coffee and a quick bite, however when I came back the exhaust from the truck smelled so bad. It could be that the DEF is frozen and is not doing its job, but I could smell a terrible sour smell from over 30 feet away. I could smell it for a few minutes while in the cab, but once I got to work it was fine. Anyone else encounter this?

yes i have been smelling the same thing with the recent cold weather -27C as well. i just assumed it was the fact that the DEF had not started flowing yet. however i will be bringing it up to the chrysler guys just in case the next time im in for a oil change because it does not smell like that consistently every morning when i start it

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it may be the DEF not flowing. Does it smell like that later after it is driven for awhile??
Once I get in the truck and drive away I don't get any of the smell, my place of work is only 18 km away, and it is fine by the time I get there. I have only encountered it with very cold mornings when the truck first is started and is warming up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts